plates and screws

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

december08changed

plates and screws

#1 Post by december08changed »

I was just wondering if anyone else can feel the screws and plates that were put in as part of rigid fixation. I had upper jaw surgery and I noticed that when I touch my right cheek I can distinctly feel 3 screws under my eye socket and when i push on them slightly it kind of hurts. On the left side I can only feel 1 screw/plate right under my nose, and nothing on my left cheek. Could it be possible that the plates/ screws are loose on the right side? Why cant I feel anything on the left side? It has been kind of bothering me lately and I was wondering if anyone else'e plates/screws were bothering them?

ohmyjaw

#2 Post by ohmyjaw »

I can definitely feel my screws and plates. I can feel some of them more than others, too. If everything else feels fine, I wouldn't worry about the fact that the right side feels different than the left. Mine hurt when I push on them too. I would like to get rid of them if I could, but I don't know if they will do that for me unless I have a problem, like an infection or something.

december08changed

#3 Post by december08changed »

Yeah that is exactly how I feel, I kind of want them out but I think they would have to cut your gums open again like in jaw surgery to get them out, so it's probably not worth it unless they're infected. I wonder why some stick out more than others though, could they somehow get loose or something?

KriegeR

#4 Post by KriegeR »

After looking on the x-rays when I last went to see my ortho, I can definitely feel the 2 plates and screws either side of my nose. The x-ray shows that I have 2 straight plates in this area, and 2 Y-shaped plates further along my cheeks. However I can't feel these, and I suppose it's down to the area being more 'fleshy'.

I can't feel the plating in my lower jaw, but I can feel how my jaw has changed shape at the back.

They certainly aren't causing me any problems at the moment, although a couple of the sites are still a bit tender if I start poking and pressing them. This is a lot less severe than it used to be though, which I suppose is a sign of things settling down as part of the healing/recovery process.

Ewok2000

#5 Post by Ewok2000 »

I can feel the plate from my sliding genio when I touch the middle of my chin.

MikeCordell

#6 Post by MikeCordell »

I can feel the plates on my upper jaw and some of the gap and I can feel the gap in my lower jaw. Probably the wierdest thing I've ever felt. I concurr with the pain as well.