BRACES OFF!!! (after upper/lower/genio)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kate0310

BRACES OFF!!! (after upper/lower/genio)

#1 Post by kate0310 »

Hi Everyone!
Well just before Xmas i got the BEST present - my debracing, which has been 10.5 years in the works!

For those of you unfamiliar with my surgery, here are the links:

(post-op) viewtopic.php?t=18335&highlight=

(6 month report) viewtopic.php?t=21289&highlight=

My ortho wasn't totally happy with taking my braces off, but my surgeon gave me the O.K. and I am happy with the result. My teeth have been CRAZY sensitive since the appointment but that will get better soon im sure. I still have 4 buttons on my back molars to wear elastics for a few months, but otherwise my mouth is so beautifully naked!!

At 9 months post-op I still have numbness in the lower right side of my face, which i am fairly certain is going to be permanent. It's an inconvenience I am just going to learn to live with...oh well.

This is my post-op Timeline:

And here are the braceless pics!

Thanks to everyone who got me through this surgery recovery (especially Meryaten and Brandy!) :lol:

Cheers,
Kate
Last edited by kate0310 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

HighandLo

#2 Post by HighandLo »

Hi Kate,

You look great! Congratulations! I don't know what your Ortho is unhappy about. :wink:

Lo

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

Its always good to see someone finish the journey. Your teeth look great!

Merry Christmas and here's to a GREAT New BRACELESS Year! :-)o

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

Sorry borrowed a way slow computer.....
Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Brandyleigh35

#5 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Hey Kate,
You look amazing! I knew you would though! Isn't it great to just have them off! Mine were super sensitive too....they are settling down but it is taking awhile. I'm almost 4 weeks debraced and my lowers incisors are still pretty touchy.

You really do look great though, and hopefully that numbness you have will get better with time. It can take up to like 2 years so don't give up yet!

Flash that brilliant smile proudly....lord knows you have suffered through enough to get it!

What kind of retainers are you in? Do you have the invisalign type or the Hawley's like Meryaten? I just found out that mine are 1 month full time wear then I get to go to nights only for 6 months. The 3rd of January will be 1 month so I'm excited about not having to wear the retainers during the day anymore!

WhiteLurcher

#6 Post by WhiteLurcher »

Congratulations Kate you look fab!
Your bite looks perfect, how does it feel?

Welcome to retainers, I must be twisted but I think I preferred braces!:-*
Taking them on and off every time I want to eat is a pain, but on the other hand it stops me snacking!!! :lol:

All the best, have a brilliant New Year! :-1 :-)o

[/url]

phil

#7 Post by phil »

kate,

You look fantastic! Congratulations on closing this chapter of your life!

kate0310

reatiners

#8 Post by kate0310 »

THanks you guys!

I got lucky with the retainer- and they just put in two permanent ones, behind my front top and bottom teeth. THe top one has given me a temporary lisp, and its a lifetime of annoying flossing but otherwise they are fine.

And my bite feels good- I can tell its not perfect because I make contact on my left molars before my right, and theres a tiny crossbite - but its very very minor - nothing like before surgery so I'm very happy.

My jaw muscles can sometimes be sore, I think it depends on how I sleep and if I clench my jaw or not. I might try something like acupuncture to try and release it a bit. Has anyone done that on their jaw?