surgery on monday and im getting scared now!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

loulou123

surgery on monday and im getting scared now!

#1 Post by loulou123 »

Ive got my surgery on monday and im getting very anxious now.

Think its due to the fact that im having my surgical hooks put on tomorrow, so its suddenly become very real, as thats the last appointment with anyone before the op itself.

Not really worried about any one thing in particular just the whole lot! Ive only ever been in hospital once as a small child, so have nothing to compare it too. (my smaller jaw surgerys were done under local anesthic as a day patient) so the whole things an unknown to me.

Keep getting really stiff neck from tensing it due to stress i guess, and im grinding my teeth again too.

part of me just wants it over NOW and the other part of me wants the next few days to go very very slowly lol.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

HighandLo

#2 Post by HighandLo »

loulou,

That's exactly how I felt! What worked for me was distracting myself from thinking of the actual surgery by getting prepared for post-op - buying soups, a blender, extra silicone wax, etc. For the surgeon this is not a big deal and they've usually done so many of these surgeries that you should feel in good hands. It's not a first for them.

You are on the downhill slope of getting your bite fixed and will be so glad when the surgery's over! We are here for you and those of us who have had surgery understand completely.

Focus on the positive outcome and how far you've come. Kudos for having the strength to make a positive change in your life! :flowerbloom:

Lo

Kerry

Re: surgery on monday and im getting scared now!

#3 Post by Kerry »

loulou123 wrote:Ive got my surgery on monday and im getting very anxious now.

Think its due to the fact that im having my surgical hooks put on tomorrow, so its suddenly become very real, as thats the last appointment with anyone before the op itself.

Not really worried about any one thing in particular just the whole lot! Ive only ever been in hospital once as a small child, so have nothing to compare it too. (my smaller jaw surgerys were done under local anesthic as a day patient) so the whole things an unknown to me.

Keep getting really stiff neck from tensing it due to stress i guess, and im grinding my teeth again too.

part of me just wants it over NOW and the other part of me wants the next few days to go very very slowly lol.
gosh how comes things went so quickly for you ! i hope i have a nice quick process lol good luck hun and dont worry it be fine :) i went under GA twice this yr and cried everytime although there was nothing to cry about lol keep yoru meds going and chill out a bit x
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

freerideuk

#4 Post by freerideuk »

don't stress or worry about it

its absoultly fine and you will be soo drugged up when you wake up everything will seem lovely lol i really doo not remeber much from my first night in hospital

the worrying and thoughs before hand are really the worst when you wake up you will relise you were worrying over nothing and it is nothing you wont be able handle :D

good luck and well donee your soo close now lol

xxxx

Rach

#5 Post by Rach »

I know how you feel, lou. I hated the apprehension of pre-surgery, just wanting to have it and focus on recovery. But use this time wisely, eat crunchy food, go out with friends, do all the things you wont beable to do for a while. The day will come, and you'll be fine, your in proffesional hands, you have people who care about you around you to help. And you have us! All you have to do is concentrate on getting better.

Rach xx
Feel free to take a look at my SurgeryBlog

loulou123

#6 Post by loulou123 »

Thanks everyone :D it really helps to know that all you guys have felt the same, as it sometimes feels like other people (especially the boyfriend doesnt really appreciate how stressful it is at mo)

I am eating all the hard and crunchy food i can find! :o and am going out for a nice meal on saturday, both as my last meal, and for a early valentines day treat (as i dont think ill be up to much on thursday somehow!)

Surgical hooks are on there way in a couple of hours, then im all done till monday. :?

Thanks again.

Kerry-its not been that quick, ive had my braces on for nearly 20months now! :shock:

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

Kerry

#7 Post by Kerry »

pig out all weekend and eat all the goodies you can I will when its my turn hehe :) nandos, burgers, harvester and beefeater and chinese ohhhhhhhh im hungry havent been able to eat this stuff for a week and i sooo want it now lol
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

HighandLo

#8 Post by HighandLo »

Hi loulou,

I don't know why I was so happy to get my surgical hooks on, even though I had to wear them a month before surgery. I guess I knew my jaw was finally going to be fixed soon! I did use more wax on the lower braces with hooks than before. Be sure you have plenty on hand for next week, too.

Good luck!

Lo

skintz

#9 Post by skintz »

Hehe, just reading Freeride's post and saying about being drugged up when you come round-it just jogged my memory! I woke up in recovery after my wisdom teeth were taken out and the nurses were talking about fish! How odd!?! Oh how i giggled (well, not literally-i had all wadding in my mouth! I giggled in my head though...!)
One of my friends, after waking up from a general anaesthetic, thought she had died and been re-incarnated as a squirrel, and she said she was so cosy with her 'tail' wrapped around her! She just thought it was funny that even though she had been re-incarnated as a squirrel, she had kept her proper name so she was Lucy the squirrel! Haha, its funny coming round-its a really odd feeling but try and remember if you think anything odd, it'll be good to look back and laugh at :D
Ps, try not to worry about monday (easier said than done, i know) but i'm sure everything will go just fine :)

Sarah

misskristen

relax

#10 Post by misskristen »

The best advice I received pre-surgery was: relax, and think positive thoughts.

I wrote about my hospitcal experience here: http://bracemyself.blogspot.com/2007/02 ... -side.html

Hope it helps!

loulou123

#11 Post by loulou123 »

Thanks again for all the kind words :D in 48 hours itll all hopefully be over (well the op anyway) :shock:

Skintz your squirrel comments really made me laugh, and thats exactly the sort of bizarre thing ill properly think myself! As you say tho, will make for a great stort afterwards! Lol :D

Im off out tonight with the boyfriend for our last meal out for a while, and plan to eat ALOT!

Happysmiler

#12 Post by Happysmiler »

Hi LouLou,

I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK for Monday, we will be thinking about you.

I hope you enjoy your meal out tonight. Like you say, the fear of the Op with all soon be over, then you can relax and get better.

Let us know when you are home again.

Best Wishes
Happysmiler x

Arvensis

#13 Post by Arvensis »

Good luck LouLou!!! It'll all be over before you know it and you'll be eating smoothies with the best of them!!!
[8 Months, 4 days with Braces]
Braces off 4/17/2008 - Rockstar!

Before and After.

skintz

#14 Post by skintz »

Hehe, let me now if you have any animal-related issues when you wake up! :lol:
I was hoping for a similar story, something a bit funny, but all i got to listen to was about fish, oh great(!) Haha

I just messaged you about your last meal but you said it was last night, doh! Well, i hope you had something really yummy :)

I forgot to say in my message-get a childs soft toothbrush for when you're able to brush your teeth (i got a dr who one! It was the only one i could find at 8pm at night) I couldn't fit an adult sized toothbrush in my mouth for a while after surgery-your jaw muscles go all tight and won't let you open your mouth too far, so get one in preparation and you'll be sorted!!

Good luck lou!

Sarah x

loulou123

#15 Post by loulou123 »

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone :D

I cant believe in less than 24 hours ill be in the operating theatre, doesnt seem real...yet.
:?

Gotta be at the hospital at 7.30 am tomorrow :? nice of them to make me get up so early!

SPeak to you all on the other side. :D