TMJ worse after surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

clairet707

TMJ worse after surgery?

#1 Post by clairet707 »

Im 2 weeks post op (upper and lower jaw) and I have noticed that my jaw is 'locking' a lot more now than it did before, I had to see my surgeon about my TMJ numerous times before the surgery but not as regularly as its happening at the moment

Is this just a temporary thing or is it likely to occur more often after surgery

Am seeing surgeon on saturday so will ask him then but in mean time I thought Id check here

clairet707

#2 Post by clairet707 »

Meryaten wrote:That doesn't sound encouraging :( I can only say that in my own experience any tendency for my jaws to lock went away with my surgery. I think you should definitely discuss with your OS.

Best of wishes.
I know thats what Im worried about, my surgeon did say that the surgery would not help my TMJ, just wasnt expecting it to get worse..

roll on saturday morning :(

JayC

#3 Post by JayC »

call up your surgeon.. i was told that the uscles and joints need to get used to being in the new position so clicking and locking is normal for the first little while post op. wereyou given mouth exercises ?? i was given a sheet of diff exercises and what to expect post op. i go under the knife next fri

Arvensis

#4 Post by Arvensis »

I was having some jaw pain and couldn't move my lower jaw side to side (mind I had upper jaw surgery, not lower, but this is about muscles) until I did a few massage therapy sessions (my stepsister is a licensed massage therapist). My muscles were REALLY tight and there were quite a few (read: TONS) of knots. She worked through the worst and it drastically changed everything, no more pain, smile wider, etc.

The point of this message is to lend credence to the thought that it might be muscles that don't know where they are supposed to be.
[8 Months, 4 days with Braces]
Braces off 4/17/2008 - Rockstar!

Before and After.

clairet707

#5 Post by clairet707 »

that is a good thought guys, thanks, will mention it to surgeon tomorrow when I see him

Wasnt given any exercises or anything similar, again will ask tomorrow

:-88

Emaciated

#6 Post by Emaciated »

Funny, I was just going to search for this topic and there you are at the top of the list.

I'm exactly 3 months post up from upper and lower and my TMJ has just now gotten much worse than it has ever been. Its not really as painful as its been in past years but the popping when I chew is actually kind of loud now and its happening more frequently. I can also make it pop (loudly) by extending my lower jaw forward and then back. Its pretty annoying. I'm going to email my OS today but in the meantime I took some ibuprophin (sp?) to try and reduce inflamation. (Saw that on WebMD.com under TMJ as a self-treatment.) It not from chewing hard or large foods either, it happens when I'm chewing anything at all, like a soft banana for example.