Painkillers?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gumchewer

Painkillers?

#1 Post by gumchewer »

Hi everyone,

I'm 10 days post maxillary Lefort I/mandibular ramus osteotomies/genioplasty.

I've been prescribed hydrocodone (tylenol with codeine) for pain, which I can take every 6 hours. I only take it when I'm in pain and for the past few days, I've only required it once or twice a day. I'd really like to start taking OTC Advil, and my doctor has okay-ed this. The only problem is that the Children's Motrin makes me gag (the adult dose is enormous!), and the pills do not dissolve very well in water.

How did you all handle this? Any ideas?

Allison

phil

#2 Post by phil »

gumchewer,

I can totally sympathize about the liquid pain relievers. Flavors that children might like definitely are not suited to the adult palate! Last June when I was tightly banded shut, I basically did what you are doing: hold my nose, try not to gag, and take that HUGE dose of liquid Ibuprofen. It's gross. Orange, cherry, berry flavor, they're all AWFUL. You just have to suffer through until you can swallow a pill, I think. :(

Good luck!
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

Arvensis

#3 Post by Arvensis »

I took the bubblegum children's motrin for a while, found it to be the best of all the flavors. Also, for nasty tasting stuff I cut it down with pear nectar or mango nectar juice - it came in cans, whatever it was called - it made the liquid nastyarsed hydrocodine taste okay, and did wonders with the children's versions.

Just gag and do it. or have something else to chug immediately afterward. No other options I guess.
[8 Months, 4 days with Braces]
Braces off 4/17/2008 - Rockstar!

Before and After.

spartanfan72

#4 Post by spartanfan72 »

I had Lefort I on Tues (Feb.19) and was also prescribed Hydrocodone. I'm almost through the first bottle and it has one refill. I've slowed way down taking it (only once today). I'll probably still need to get the refill though.

The one nice thing is that I have no problem swallowing pills and have actually taken a few advil now and then instead of the hydrocodone.

Before surgery I had planned on trying to only take that week off work and go back tomorrow. That's not an option now....I'm hoping to only need this upcoming week.

The pain isn't terrible, but the sinus pressure is. This was harder than I thought, but I THINK i'm past the worst and I'm feeling a little better every day.

gumchewer

#5 Post by gumchewer »

Thanks.

Looking through the medicine cabinet, I found some chewable Motrin. I don't know how it dissolves yet, but that might be a good compromise.

boss5430man

#6 Post by boss5430man »

I hate all type of medications and liquid is the absolute worst!!

I take OTC advil from time to time but I like home remedies better than putting a lot of chemicals into my body.

I use a product I found online called the FaceCaddy. FaceCaddy is an interesting product that is a wrap that goes around ones head. It lets you heat your face 100% hands free and even comes with 2 packs for you to heat up.

It works for me because I can heat my face and go about my day normally. My pain seems to go away faster than when I just took medicine and I feel better about doing it this way, too.

dubnobass

#7 Post by dubnobass »

boss5430man wrote:I hate all type of medications and liquid is the absolute worst!!

I take OTC advil from time to time but I like home remedies better than putting a lot of chemicals into my body.

I use a product I found online called the FaceCaddy. FaceCaddy is an interesting product that is a wrap that goes around ones head. It lets you heat your face 100% hands free and even comes with 2 packs for you to heat up.

It works for me because I can heat my face and go about my day normally. My pain seems to go away faster than when I just took medicine and I feel better about doing it this way, too.
You must really like these products - they're the only things you've ever posted about of these forums:
boss5430man wrote:Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:41 pm Post subject: clicking
What I do to ease the pain when it occurs is to put heat packs on my problem areas. I use a product called the FaceCaddy that I found online and it works pretty good. It's a velcro wrap that goes around your head and helps you heat your face hands free.

Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:58 am Post subject: my favorite remedy...
I feel that applying heating pads to my face is also my best home remedy for easing tmj pain. I've found a few products through the years that will actually hold the pads in place right on my jaw, which is a real nice feature. My favorite is called the Face Caddy. It's a great piece of material that really holds the pads firmly (it even comes with 2 pads!).

Feb 27, 2008 11:48 am Post subject: no surgery!
I've had tmj for years and have never taken the surgery plunge. I've heard surgical success stories, and it is for some people, but it just scares me because I've heard a lot of bad stories about tmj surgery.

To ease my pain, I use a product called icecaddy that helps me to put heat on my face absolutely hands free. It comes with 2 packs for your convenience to warm up yourself. The product is great because I can go about my day and ease my tmj pain at the same time. It really helps me calm down, relax, and go about my day in a normal fashion.
They look suspiciously like adverts to me :lol:
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008