How long were you in the hospital?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

loulou123

#1 Post by loulou123 »

Im in the uk, so not too sure if my answers gonna be of much use, but here goes anyway:

1) Was in hospital from monday morning till wednesday evening (they wanted to keep me in till thursday but i pleaded to be let home :D )

2) I was in high dependancy (in the uk this is slightly lower than intensive care unit) from monday evening 9about 7pm until tuesday morning about 11am

3) i was orginally told i should be home on the tuesday afternoon/evening (but had quite a few complications after surgery)

4) no private room for me, tho i was on the nhs

5) My OS required general good health ( i had problems with blood pressure and oxygen levels so these had to be ok before i was allowed home) and that i could "eat" and drink ok.

6) I had a BSSO advancement of 13mm and wisdom tooth removal, oh and a extra molar removed too

7) i was quoted about 3 hours for surgery, but was in longer proberly about 4 hours before being taken to recovery

Hope all this helps :D

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

clairet707

Re: How long were you in the hospital?

#2 Post by clairet707 »

seriously wrote:I am getting close to my surgery date (hopefully) and wanted to ask those of you already on the other side a few questions about your hospital stay. I've been told I will be in for 2-4 days depending on how fast I recover. I know many factors come into play on the length of stay but wanted to get more of an idea from each of your experiences.

If you have not had surgery yet but have answers based on what your OS has discussed with you then feel free to jump in as well!

Thanks in advance for sharing!

1) How long was your total stay in the hospital after surgery? 3 nights
2) How long were you in intensive care unit? about 2 1/2 hours
3) What length of time were you originally quoted? about that..
4) Did you have a private room? yes but I was in a private hospital and thats all they have
5) What did your OS require before you were released? (drink an entire glass of juice, etc) good health, keep food down, pee on own, which is why I was in 3 nights not 2, I couldnt keep food down
6) What procedure(s) did you have done while in surgery? Bilateral maxillary osteotomy (lower jaw forward 13mm, upper jaw up 3mm, sorry not sure of the technical terms for that)
7) How long was your actual surgery? 1 hour 45 minutes
Last edited by clairet707 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

dubnobass

#3 Post by dubnobass »

I was in hospital overnight and was told I could go home about 8am the day after surgery, but with waiting for my medicines to be provided by the hospital pharmacy, didn't escape until about 3pm! I was told it would be one night in hospital.

I wasn't in the intensive care unit at all, I just got wheeled back up to the ward after I had come round (no private room for me - there were 4 people in the ward, and room for 6).

The surgeon didn't seem to need anything before he let me go, just to look inside my mouth to make sure all was OK. The matron on the ward wanted to see me eat and drink first, though - I had already demonstrated that going to the loo was no problem, about 15 times in the night!

I had Lefort I and BSSO, and I think it took about 3 hours.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

ohmyjaw

#4 Post by ohmyjaw »

1. Total stay was about 36 hours.

2. Was never in the intensive care unit. I spent a few hours in some sort of post-surgery recovery area, but I don't really remember that part.

3. 48 hours. They told me they would prefer that I stayed the second night as planned, but I wanted to get the heck out of there! So they said ok, as long as there is someone with you at home for at least one night.

4. Ha ha. No, there were a whole bunch of people in one big room, separated by curtains. I forget what this is called, but it is some sort of short-stay surgery ward.

5. I have no idea. He came to visit me in the afternoon the day after surgery, and asked how everything was going. I said fine, can I go home now. He said he would prefer if I stayed another night but if I really wanted to leave I could go.

6. 3-piece lefort and unilateral BSSO.

7. About 6 hours I think.

P.S. I am in Canada.

Rach

#5 Post by Rach »

Seriously,

1) How long was your total stay in the hospital after surgery?
4 days and 3 nights (In monday and out thursday evening)

2) How long were you in intensive care unit?
I was also in HDU and for one night (in about half 5 monday and out early afternoon on the tuesday)

3) What length of time were you originally quoted?
In the HDU I wasn't told but my surgeon told me between 1 and 2 nights overall in the hospital

4) Did you have a private room?
No I was on NHS aswell and was sharing a room in a ward with 6 other ladies

5) What did your OS require before you were released? (drink an entire glass of juice, etc)
Just the obvious, beable to walk OK, and know I would drink and eat what I could when I got home

6) What procedure(s) did you have done while in surgery?
BSSO. Moved back and also wisdom teeth removal

7) How long was your actual surgery?
somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hours

Hope I helped,

Rach
Feel free to take a look at my SurgeryBlog

allisonh

wow... im really scared

#6 Post by allisonh »

So, I dont have a date yet, but I will be scheduled for a BSSO, Lefort 1, and a TMJ Arthroplasty, and my surgeon preliminarily told me that I will be having it outpatient, and will be released that day. I have a problem with bleeding, as I have had major bleeding problems with my previous surgeries on my knees and wisdom teeth extractions. And since my insurance denied anything relating to TMJ, I wont be able to go to the hospital since it wont be covered.

UGh... what have I gotten myself into :(

phil

Re: How long were you in the hospital?

#7 Post by phil »

seriously wrote:
5) What did your OS require before you were released? (drink an entire glass of juice, etc)
1) Sarpe--home same day; BSSO/LeFort I--overnight; LeFort I redo/Iliac Crest Bone Graft--overnight
2) NONE
3) Same as occurred
4) Yes
5) Consume clear liquids, go to the bathroom
6) See #1
7) SARPE--about 1.5 hours; BSSO/LeFort I--about 3 hours; LeFort I redo/Iliac Crest Bone Graft--about 4.5 hours
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

Arvensis

#8 Post by Arvensis »

) How long was your total stay in the hospital after surgery?
2 days, I went in early Monday and by Midday Wednesday I was at home. It was impossible for me to sleep at the hospital and the food was nasty, so I wanted out.

None. Went from surgery, to recovery, to room.

I was told two nights, out on Wednesday.

Yes, but the hospital was private so only private rooms. My husband and godmother stayed with me the entire time on the two chairs in the hospital, which was fortunate b/c the nurses would ask "yes? yes?" when I hit the button but I couldn't really say anything well enough for them to understand.

I think it was something about peeing a certain amount and drinking a certain amount; I remember keeping track of pee for a while but not drinks:P

I had a lefort 1, three piece (widen upper and move foward), a septoplasty, rhinoplasty as part of the septo (outside too messed up), and turbinectomy.

5 and a half hours. The nose and septum gave them LOTS of trouble.
[8 Months, 4 days with Braces]
Braces off 4/17/2008 - Rockstar!

Before and After.

JayC

#9 Post by JayC »

1) 8hours
2) don't think i ever was in the intensive care unit
3) about that time
4) no
5) drink water, washroom, driver to get me, vital stats cleared
6) BSSO mandibular setbck, chin augmentation
7) roughly 3 hours i think

gumchewer

#10 Post by gumchewer »

I was admitted Thursday morning and I went home Sunday afternoon.

I'm not really sure. I woke up in the recovery room, and stayed there overnight, but only because they didn't have a room for me until Friday.

I was told I would probably go home Saturday morning

Because I'm 18, I was in a pediatric hospital. The setup was that I had my own room with three and a half walls and a curtain, and I shared 2 bathrooms with about 5 patients and their parents.

I had to be off the catheter and off the IV -- basically, I had to be peeing on my own and taking a satisfactory amount of liquid orally. I was peeing on Saturday, but not drinking enough water until Sunday.

Lefort 1, mandibular osteotomy, genioplasty

Again, not totally sure. The estimate prior to surgery was 6 hours.