My underbite makes me look..

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sweet Escape

My underbite makes me look..

#1 Post by Sweet Escape »

My underbite makes me look sad, like im unhappy all the time.

It's so frustrating and disheartening. My normal face looks unhappy.
People are always like "smile more" I'm like "I can't help it!".

I can't wait for the surgery to correct this.

Anyone else get stuff like this.

Also, I'm getting my top jaw moved 6mm and bottom moved back 3mm.
On a scale of high to low what kind of movement is this?

cheers

crazybeautiful

#2 Post by crazybeautiful »

I empathise....but hey, at least we're getting it sorted out, and will no longer look constantly sad/annoyed/generally bad :wink:, and will have nice, functioning bite (don't know you, but have teeth that touch will feel really weird!)

I've just had SARPE (expansion of upper jaw) so will probably have to wait a while until I have the surgery to correct my underbite, but I really am looking forward to it (which is slightly macabre, I suppose :D )

As for the measurements- I dunno what mine are yet to compare, but people definately have more movement than that- but a bad bite is a bad bite :wink:
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

Von

#3 Post by Von »

I think i understand u very well.My face looks also unhappy,like i am in bad mood all the time.But it is just the jaw which protrudes and makew us look like that

ema27

#4 Post by ema27 »

so its not just me me then.......For the past 2 weeks people keep mentioning that i look grumpy.im not !!No idea if its my facial structure or the fact that braces are beginning to be a chore..After 14 months and only just over half way i v had enough....never mind eh...life in braces goes on.... :D

badbite

#5 Post by badbite »

I have been asked my entire life why I am sad. I can't wait to have my underbite fixed. You are not alone. As for the amout of movement. I don't know -sorry.

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008

jjames

#6 Post by jjames »

Underbite or overbite - they both make you look sad or teed off - isn't that weird how people interpret bone structure facial expressions? But yes, I totally empathize with you. I had an overbite, so people would tell me all the time "you should smile more" and ask "why do you look so mad all the time" which was not the case at all. It took me years to figure out what exactly they were talking about until I figured out they meant the way the corners of mouth turned slightly down because of my overbite. Yes, it's annoying as can be, but you're doing something that will change all that - and you can REALLY smile about that.

kaycee

#7 Post by kaycee »

I just asked my oral surgeon for some estimates as to what he thinks the surgical adjustments might be - upper jaw up 6mm and out 3mm, bottom jaw forward 4mm. I have an overbite, and it seems like the closer I get to surgery, the most distorted my face becomes. But maybe that's just me wanting it to be over.

Beth85

#8 Post by Beth85 »

My husband is constantly telling me to cheer up, he thinks I'm in a bad mood all the time. I try to explain to him it's just the way I look but I'm not sure he understands.

My underbite gives me a very hard look & I don't feel I look at all feminine & I don't like smiling or laughing in front of people too often because the braces make my jaw look a lot worse than before :roll:

Anyhow, that will all change. About 6 months ago I was told my top jaw would be moved forward about 6.5mm & the bottom back approx 5mm. That may change once everything is in place, who knows.

Beth

Rach

#9 Post by Rach »

Totally get what you mean.
Before I had my surgery people were always asking me 'whats wrong?' when I just looked like normal. It is frustrating, but I guess people who aren't in our 'boat' just don't understand what its like. But its not forever, do you know when your op is yet?
Feel free to take a look at my SurgeryBlog

Rebelda

#10 Post by Rebelda »

It's a relief to hear that it is just not me! I get those "smile" comments all the time and I've had people tell me that they didn't approach me intially because they thought I was pissed off about something. I really hope that my having a "proper" bite will fix this. Cheers!

suetemi

#11 Post by suetemi »

What a great thread to vent such frustrations. I have an open bite and overbite which gives me a long face and very awkward & uncomfortable bite. When I relax my lower jaw it just kind of hangs awkwardly and makes me look glum...I hate it! People always think I'm sad when I'm not.
Also, this doesn't have to do with being mistaken for being sad, but people sometimes say I look like either a cricket or a koala because of my convex profile. When I get my jaws fixed I won't be called cricket face anymore which will make me pretty happy.

allisonh

#12 Post by allisonh »

I have a severe overbite, and it does the same thing, I am always told I look sad and unhappy. Also, now I have to chew with my mouth open and its really really hard for me to swallow, so its loud and disguisting when I eat. My parents used to yell at me and tell me how embarassing I was for the food issue and always looking sad. Also, the stupid comments i got about my crooked teeth didnt help.

I cant wait to get it fixed so I can smile really big!

matthut

Underbite

#13 Post by matthut »

What website, at last. I have a 7mm underbite and had my first operation last week, They fitted an expander and also cut the top jaw along the centre. I have started to adjust the expander twice a day.