Effects to airway space

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Von

Effects to airway space

#1 Post by Von »

Today,while i was searching for some information about the surgery,i found an interesting site.It ws about the effects of surgery to airway space.It said that with advancment,the airway space gets a little bigger so it easy for people to breathe.But with setback,which reduces your lower jaw,the airway space gets smaller,so it is more difficult to breathe.And this happens if the movement is big,above 10mm.So it is better the setback to be combined with maxillary advancment,wven if the upper jaw is ok.That is what i read on the site.I felt worry about this,cause the doctors which examined me told me that probably only lower jaw,and the setback i need is 12-15mm.I am used all this time to the idea that i need only lower jaw done.I don't want to mess with my upper jaw :cry:

Luella

#2 Post by Luella »

I'd print that article and take it with you to the surgeon- it sounds like it makes sense to me! I wouldn't want to fix the upper jaw if it wasn't 'broken' either!
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

nimo

#3 Post by nimo »

I had my upper jaw advanced, and I'm pretty sure you could fit a turkey in my sinuses now. The amount of space there is REALLY noticeable, and I didn't even have that big of an advancement.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

loulou123

#4 Post by loulou123 »

I had a 13mm lower jaw advancement and have not noticed any difference at all. (tho can imagine its much more noticable with upper jaw)

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/