Can I laugh during my recovery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

funkyrhodes

Can I laugh during my recovery?

#1 Post by funkyrhodes »

Hi there! I'm trying to gather viewing materials for my post-op paradise. I have in my possession every episode of my favorite TV show: Mystery Science Theater 3000 (if you know and love this show too, you're my friend for life!). I always crack up when I watch it, but I'm worried that this will mess my jaws. Is it best to stick with dramas and documentaries?

-George

Emaciated

#2 Post by Emaciated »

I'm a member of the fan club and own all the episodes on DVD. Big fan!

No, you'll want to laugh... a lot. It will brighten your mood and keep your spirits up. You may find that you don't even want to watch TV, at least I did. I just sort of wanted to sit around and not do anything. But yes, keep the comedies available.

switchblades

#3 Post by switchblades »

I was wondering this too, so thanks!

Tidbit: you probably already know this, but they just re-issued MST300 in a special edition DVD set and on Blu-Ray. Looks pretty fantastic! (Oh the joys of working at a CD/DVD store...I love my job!)
Initial Consult: August 22nd, 2008
Upper Arch Bracketed: October 22nd, 2008
Lower Arch Bracketed: December 3rd, 2008
Debraced: October 15th, 2009

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Emaciated

#4 Post by Emaciated »

(No offense to Obama.)

funkyrhodes

#5 Post by funkyrhodes »

I keep thinking about that since where Dr. Forrestor and TV's Frank look into the camera with microphones and say, "DEEP HURTING! DEEP HURTING!" :lol: I'm sure I'll be saying that soon.

emilio

#6 Post by emilio »

So what is the authoritative answer? can we laugh after surgery or not????

I had some minor surgery on my palate and fraenum and some of my future relatives were brightening my days by making me laugh and my God, it was PAINFUL! at one time I even started bleeding when the stitches where stretching to their limits!!!

Can we laugh?

Figamentation

#7 Post by Figamentation »

From my personal experience I was laughing right away - my boyfriend is a funny guy - plus we watched a ton of Scrubs and The Office while I was recovering. It DID make my face ache, especially in the chin area (I was very tightly banded, pretty much wired shut for 7 weeks so the force of the laughter was pretty intense sometimes) but it lifted the spirits so it had the psychological healing factor. I recommend lots of laughter. Just watch out for the yawns - they are completely unsatisfying and once I did one, I couldn't stop for like an hour, it got pretty annoying.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#8 Post by blindboarder2008 »

lol i'm working on building up my dvd collection as well for when i get my surgery. I'll definetly have to make sure i have some comedy ones handy. yawning sometimes hurts right now for me cause my jaw likes to make a popping sound. So hopefully i won't yawn to much!!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Emaciated

#9 Post by Emaciated »

emilio wrote:Can we laugh?
Yes