Overbite,Crossbite,Openbite-Would love to hear some stories!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mel123

Overbite,Crossbite,Openbite-Would love to hear some stories!

#1 Post by Mel123 »

I have been reading the forum trying to find out all I need to know about jaw surgery and braces but there seems to be more under bite problems than overbite and there are a lot of pages to read! I think I have a class two overbite/cross bite/open bite (does that sound right?)and will be having upper and lower jaw surgery to fix it!

I just want some opinions/ help and stories from those of you who are in the process/have finished there treatment and of course those who are just starting out.
I have already had impacted wisdom teeth removed back in September and 5 weeks ago had upper and lower fixed appliance and quad-helix fitted ( a long visit to the orthodontist) I already don’t get along with my braces and so I am interested to know the time scale for other people because I have already had enough of the braces! And I have heard that the quad-helix is not worn for the whole duration? I am shocked by how much my teeth have moved already and seriously hope for this long journey to really speed up! I am also wondering if there is an immediate change in your appearance or are you too swollen after surgery? Also is a splint worn after surgery? Do many of you with Jaw complaints suffer from TMD and how does it effect you?

Thanks for the help! Look forward to hearing from you.

Emaciated

Re: Overbite,Crossbite,Openbite-Would love to hear some stor

#2 Post by Emaciated »

Mel123 wrote:I just want some opinions/ help and stories from those of you who are in the process/have finished there treatment and of course those who are just starting out.
I have some stories and info posted here you may find useful:
http://www.thisisjustwrong.com
...I am interested to know the time scale for other people because I have already had enough of the braces!
I was in braces for 17 months. Then had double jaw surgery to correct an underbite/open bite, was then in braces 4 more months. Now I have to wear a top and bottom retainer at night for the rest of my life, and have permanent retainers across the insides of my front top teeth and front bottom teeth.
I am also wondering if there is an immediate change in your appearance or are you too swollen after surgery?
There is an immediate change in that you go from looking like yourself, to looking like you've been in a horrible car accident. There are "after" photos posted all over this forum and peoples' blogs. You can mine using the link posted above, look in the 'photos' section. You will not see what you actually look like until the swelling subsides which initially takes a week or two for the major swelling, and then takes months for the minor swelling. After a year, you are pretty much healed and look the way you are meant to look.
Also is a splint worn after surgery?

Typically but sometimes not. I wore a splint for 3-weeks after surgery because I had a 3-piece lefort (they cut my upper jaw into 3 pieces). You can get more info on splints by doing a search in this forum and typing "splint," there are a number of threads and photos and whatnot.
Do many of you with Jaw complaints suffer from TMD and how does it effect you?
I'm not familiar with TMD, but I suffered from TMJ (if that's the same thing?) prior to surgery. Now it has been cured for the most part, although it did worsen for a period of a few months after the surgery.