Open Bite

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

natim1

Open Bite

#1 Post by natim1 »

I have a 7mm open bite, and am supposed to have leforte surgery on the top and bottom jaws either in December of this year or summer next year (postponed because I broke my alveolar bone a month ago and screwed up my 4 front teeth, probably need root canals now, but that's another story...) I will be a senior in High school this fall and would really like to have all of this stuff behind me before I go to college. How long does it take to heal from the surgery? What about swelling? Will it change the way I look? What about biting my teeth together? Will I be able to play a reed instrument?

AF104

#2 Post by AF104 »

A LeFort osteotomy is the name of the principal maxillary surgery. It's not possible to have it on the "lower jaw". Mandibular surgeries have different names such as BSSO and IVRO. It takes quite a while to heal after surgery. You should expect significant swelling and it will linger for 2-3 weeks before gradually diminishing over 2-3 months. You won't be able to chew anything for at least 4 weeks. I was able to eat relatively normally at the 7 week point. Reconstructing the face always changes the way a person looks. Just how much it alters a person's looks is hard to say but most surgeons can give you a computerized projection. You need a significant amount of healing to take place before trying to play a reed instrument. I would say 3-4 months would be best for safety. You wouldn't want to break one of the metal plates in your face and require more surgery. Good luck.