Weight Loss

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

megankaz

Weight Loss

#1 Post by megankaz »

What's the total amount of weight did you lose after this procedure? Were you wired/not wired shut?

ali01

#2 Post by ali01 »

I wasn't wired shut but was very tightly banded for about 3 weeks. I lost 4kg but gained it all back hehe
Good luck.

PJ

#3 Post by PJ »

I was not wired shut, but I still lost 10lbs. I am happy to say I have kept it off--I could definitely have afforded to lose it. :)

OzzysMom

#4 Post by OzzysMom »

Not wired shut either-just banded.
I lost about 20 lbs but I knew I would because of my frame and metabolism. So about 6 months before I thought I might be having surgery, I started to try to gain weight. I gained 15 lbs but it came off fast afterwards.
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

Folk Ballad

#5 Post by Folk Ballad »

I let myself pack on a few extra pounds before surgery, because I lose a couple pounds just when I have an orthodontic adjustment so I knew I'd lose some significant weight after surgery. I wasn't wired shut, but I was heavily banded for about a week and a half.
I lost 10lbs or so and have since gained back 3lbs (which is actually where I want to stay since I'm at my ideal weight now. thanks jaw surgery!).

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#6 Post by blindboarder2008 »

I was not wired shut, but heavily banded for the first 2 weeks and I lots about 9 pounds but once I was able to eat a bit more and take the elastics off I gained it back prety quick. Just try to get in as much calories as you possibly can and use protein powder!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Twinjoy

#7 Post by Twinjoy »

I lost 15 lbs and have luckily been able to keep it off. I was not wired or banded at all and had a BSSO. I was over my BMI before surgery so loosing the weight was welcomed. The doc said if I lost more then 15 he would put me in the ER so I stayed at that mark :)

AFLeadDog

#8 Post by AFLeadDog »

I have lost 18lbs in a little over a month. I am kinda happy as it brough me back to my ideal weight. Now if i could get clearance to work out....
Respectfully,

AFLeadDog

zoeandnimo

#9 Post by zoeandnimo »

I only lost 4 pounds - but I didn't really have much weight to lose so I was drinking ensure and shakes all day long (with peanut butter, bananas, etc). I really fought to keep the weight loss moderate. I gained about half that weight back (so far, it's been only 3 months).

Oh, and I also was not wired shut, and wasn't too numb so I was drinking out of a cup immediately - makes a HUGE difference in weight loss, I'm sure.

megankaz

I'm on day 13

#10 Post by megankaz »

And still down about 10 lbs. I'm telling you-- I am SO SICK of the liquid diet !! This seriously sucks !

AF104

#11 Post by AF104 »

You should be able to eat soft foods at this point such as oatmeal, mashed potatoes, apple sauce, pudding, etc.

megankaz

#12 Post by megankaz »

Still wired shut... 3weeks now and am down 15lbs.............

chicago29

#13 Post by chicago29 »

megankaz,

I lost about 10 pounds after SARPE/MSDO. I still haven't gained it all back, and I attribute that to the fact that I don't snack between meals any more because 1) I can't eat crunchy snack foods, and 2) I don't want to have to brush.

If you are having trouble with weight, I highly suggest a protein powder or a mass gain powder from GNC. I know some of these are not the most tasty of items, but they should at least allow you to stop losing weight and stabilize until you can start getting more calories.

I will also throw out there that you can blend anything. I thought it would be gross, but I promise you there are some good blender meals out there!

-Chicago29

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#14 Post by blindboarder2008 »

protein powders are great. I managed to find some really good tasting ones. you can mix them into virutally anything to. My mom was mixing them into milk shakes and everything i was eating. WEll I did loose 9 pounds I'm convinced that it was because of the bad reaction to the antibotic because i couldn't keep anything in for a little while in the very beginning so I think that when i lost the bulk of the weight that I did.

The name of the protein powder slips my mind right now but I will ask my mom tomorrow for the name and will get back to you.

ensure is really good as well :)
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

AZWILDCATS

#15 Post by AZWILDCATS »

I'm wired shut. I am 1 week post-op and have lost 6.8 pounds.