sharp pain near left ear?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lacrosse Mom

sharp pain near left ear?

#1 Post by Lacrosse Mom »

Hi-

I am one month from having a Lefort 1. I am experiencing some new pain. It started a few days ago. I get a shooting pain near my left ear. If I don't take motrin in exactly 4 hours it really hurts!!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

AF104

#2 Post by AF104 »

Ear pain is a well known symptom of TMJ syndrome. Jaw surgery places a lot of stress on those joints(even if only the maxilla is operated on) and causes a variable amount of temporary dysfunction in some patients.

OzzysMom

#3 Post by OzzysMom »

At one month out, I experienced the same thing. My pain was sharp and shot down my neck. I was really concerned and my surgeon said I probably jarred it while sleeping. A few days later I woke up and found that I had my hand on that side of my jaw and had been somehow pulling on it while I was asleep. FWIW, the pain did last for several days and was bad enough that I cancelled the trip to my class reunion. I would not be too concerned but it is probably a good idea to call your surgeon just to let him know what is going on.
Best wishes with your healing!
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

Lacrosse Mom

#4 Post by Lacrosse Mom »

AF104 & Ozzy's mom:

Thanks for your replies. It definitely sounds like the TM joint. When I went to my orthodontist last week he changed the configuration of my rubber bands. He said there was a slight overbite and put me in a triangle configuration.

It seems like it started to hurt after that. I called my OS this morning and he wants me stop by tomorrow morning. He said if it continued to bother me to take off the rubber bands.

It is just upsetting because I was doing so well!!

I'll post what he says tomorrow. Thanks :-)

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#5 Post by blindboarder2008 »

I to found when I got my box configuration i had ear pain in my right ear espicially when I yawned at all. it sucked and hurt for the first week or so but then it got better so it wasn't as concerning for me. But yes go see the os tomorrow and see what he says. Hopefully its nothing bad and hope you can keep the elastics on so your bite can settle down nicely in a good postition!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!