FINALLY a date set for surgery!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braced4secondtime

FINALLY a date set for surgery!

#1 Post by braced4secondtime »

I'm mostly a lurker here as I find very little time for posting but I'm a 31 yr old mom of 3. Braced for the 2nd time (had them when I was 12, wore them for 12 months, then ignored my retainer) this route I had to have 6 teeth extracted a year & half ago, the 13th will mark my 2 year anniversary since being braced and on Sept 9th I will be having upper jaw surgery done to line up my jaw. I am not familiar with the lingo or short cuts for explaining things on here yet. The estimating is braces for 6 more months post surgery then all done! I'm very excited to finally have the date set as I'd been waiting in limbo for months knowing the longer they wait to do the surgery the longer I'm in braces. They originally told me 28-30 months and its still looking that way. I'll be paying more attention to the board in the coming weeks as I wait for my D-day.

Lacrosse Mom

#2 Post by Lacrosse Mom »

Congratulations! I started reading this post when I was told I would need jaw surgery. It has been such a tremendous help!

I had upper jaw surgery on July 1. Things have gone very well! I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the post titled " pre surgery items." It has a great list of things you will need before surgery.

I had a difficult time with a stuffy nose after surgery. Saline was extremely helpful. I also purchased a "jaw bra." It's a neat device that holds ice packs on your jaw. I used it 24/7 after my surgery. I also had a back up supply of ice packs.

One other piece of advice. If you can get your prescriptions before the surgery. That way you can come home and have your pain meds.

Good luck - It's well worth it!! :lol: