upper jaw range of motion

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lacrosse Mom

upper jaw range of motion

#1 Post by Lacrosse Mom »

To fellow upper jaw surgery patients,

How long did it take to get more range of motion? I still can only open my jaw so far. I had my surgery on July 1st.

I had my upper jaw surgery due to a very small palate, open bite, cross bite, etc. I used to only chew on the left side of my mouth because my teeth didn't line up. I thought I would start chewing on the right side of my mouth after surgery. Do I have to train my jaw to chew on the right side? I had never been able to bite into anything with my two front teeth. What a shock when I could actually bite with them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PJ

#2 Post by PJ »

I think it took me about 3 months before I could finally get 3 fingers in again. It's different for everyone, but doing jaw exercises should help. I do think you may have to train your jaw to chew on the other side--it takes the muscles awhile to catch up with all the changes. Be patient with yourself--it only seems like you'll never be able to open all the way, or chew properly. :)[/b]

changes09

#3 Post by changes09 »

I'm almost a month out of surgery and can only fit two fingers in my mouth. I tried three and just could not do it. In fact I couldn't even open enough for the ortho to change out the wires so we r/s my appt for the second time, and hopefully i'll be ready then