how far can you open your mouth?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lacrosse Mom

how far can you open your mouth?

#1 Post by Lacrosse Mom »

Hi,

I had my upper jaw surgery in July. Lately, I have been concerned about how far I can open my jaw. I'm worried it's never going to go back to pre-surgery range of motion. I can only get 2 fingers in my mouth after almost 4 months? When I try and open real wide it feels like it's going to break (yikes)

Is this fairly common? Should I do some sort of physical therapy? Has anyone done any type of exercise to help? Should I call my o.s. and discuss the issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

changes09

#2 Post by changes09 »

It's been two months since I had upper jaw surgery and my doc told me to nt be afraid to open your mouth. Open your mouth even if it hurts. Just open through the pain. I can fit three fingers stacked up on one another. It's a bit uncomfortable. I don't think I'll ever go back to the way it was before. But thats okay. Just practice.

OzzysMom

#3 Post by OzzysMom »

It's normal for it to be that way for awhile. It's also important that every day you exercise the muscles. The way I did it was to open my mouth as wide as I could, then hold it with my fingers while slightly pulling it open more. I would hold it like that for a few seconds, relax, then do it again several times. It doesn't feel good, but it works.
I often thought I would never get my full range of motion back. Then, at a year post-op, I realized that it's now about the same as it was before surgery.
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

moth

#4 Post by moth »

i can only open 2 fingers wide as well. i am around 6 months post op. i probably haven't been exercising the muscles as much as i should, because my right joint especially hurts when i open wide. i mentioned it to my surgeon and he said that there is a procedure (i forget what it's called!) that they can do at about 1 year post op, where they stick in a few needles around the area of your joint and flush it out. he said that sometimes there is build up that prevents the joint from moving properly, and that's likely what's happening to me.

braced4secondtime

#5 Post by braced4secondtime »

I'm 6.5 weeks post op and can open my mouth enough to fit 2 fingers stacked, with a bit extra room. It hurts a bit on my right side, up by my ear, but my OS said along with everything else, it takes time and will be a little more, a little better with ever week recovered.
First time in braces, no surgery: 1990
Second time in braces: 08/07
Wisdom teeth plus 1 molar each side total 6 teeth removed: 02/08
Upper Jaw surgery: 09/09

Lacrosse Mom

#6 Post by Lacrosse Mom »

Thank you for all of your replies!

I have been opening my jaw and really pushing through the pain. I hold it open to the count of ten and then relax. I will continue to work the muscles and then touch base with my oral surgeon.

I hope that I get close to my presurgery range of motion. I have to get my teeth cleaned tomorrow and I'm afraid my hygenist won't be able to get in there to get em clean.

Again, thanks for your replies. I'm so thankful for this website! :-)