Jaw Surgery in the UK (London)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bleachie

Jaw Surgery in the UK (London)

#1 Post by bleachie »

Hello,

I am currently suffering from class 3 malocclusion and from what I can see I have a slight cross bite meaning its overlapping the top teeth slightly from the lower right 3rd molar to the lower left 2nd bicuspid molar.

The lower left/right lateral/central are around 3mm in front and for the last 2 years I've had early signs of TMJ, clicking from the joint, jaw locking and for the last 6 months I find it uncomfortable to close my mouth.

I've been to Kingston Hospital to try and get it on the NHS, but they basically said it'll get better over time and because I didn't do my own research I accepted their answer. My current dentist suggested I try Kings College Hospital, they might accept me as it'll be post graduates. But, I've come to the conclusion that I'll rather have an experienced surgeon.

My question's are how much is it likely to cost in the UK? I would need to have my lower jaw moved back (from my own research) and I've been recommended the surgeons from Barts Hospital, would I contact them directly or would I still need to be referred?

Many Thanks.

queenofoverbite

#2 Post by queenofoverbite »

If I were you, I would give the surgeons a call. Their secretaries are usually so knowledgeable about these kinds of things, as they see all types of cases day in and day out.

You need to know what qualifies you to have the surgery under your country's health are plan.

A lot of your questions are overwhelmingly specific and people on this board are from all over the world. I dont know if you can find the answers to the kind of narrow-ish questions youre asking here.

Good luck!
BSSO in Fall 2010!

Flossify

Re: Jaw Surgery in the UK (London)

#3 Post by Flossify »

Hi

I am also looking for answers to the same questions as the first poster. I attended a appointment at Kings College Hospital but they were on the fence as to whether it was worth the risk of having jaw surgery and I definately got the feeling they felt my case was not severe enough

It's been a year since then and I would like another opinion, which will have to be private but apart from google I don't know where to start looking for a good oral and maxillofacial surgeon.

I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks

midnight

#4 Post by midnight »

I guess most dentist or orthodontists could advise where to start looking. Otherwise it might be worth looking at Nuffield Health, bmi health care or something similar as I know they list consultants?

Zoology Dragon

#5 Post by Zoology Dragon »

I paid in the region of £9-10k for a double jaw + genio in 2006. You should be able to get a referral in the usual way, though presumably you could make a request to be referred to a specific surgeon if you have a preference.
Double jaw osteotomy + genio: November 2006

Now on waiting list to have lower jaw plates and wire removed.

windycitycassie

#6 Post by windycitycassie »

I have a Class III (underbite of I think 3mm?) and have seen two surgeons in the UK and neither would operate on me. Over 20 years ago I had braces so it looks better than it did before, but over time my teeth have moved back some. This means my front teeth touch and are being ground down slightly - I also grind at night. Neither surgeon would even do x-rays and just said I should try orthodontics.

So, I guess it has to be a very severe case for anyone to do anything about it on the NHS. I personally don't want to do braces again as it still won't change the look of the jaw profile and it might relapse...again.