Anyone else here have SARPE?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DrBlur

Anyone else here have SARPE?

#1 Post by DrBlur »

I'm having SARPE surgery within probably the next few weeks, after my braces and expander are put on next week. Has anyone else here had it done? How much did it hurt and what was the recovery like?
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

BracketRacket

#2 Post by BracketRacket »

I'm working on it! :wink:

Hopefully I'll be able to schedule in the next few weeks, too -- can't wait to get it over with! I'm curious to see how you and coastie make out -- you are the two who I know here who are having SARPE soon (I think she's today, so hopefully she'll fill us both in!) I think that my procedure will be a little different, though, I won't have braces beforehand.

Good luck! Have you checked out the SARPE thread? It's about 90 pages of information -- I think it's still on the first page of threads in this forum.

DrBlur

#3 Post by DrBlur »

Nah I haven't checked it out yet...didn't even see it (goes to show how on top of it I am! :lol: )

Yeah I get the braces and expander on next week, and the SARPE shortly thereafter...just waiting to hear back from the surgeons office to schedule it...was told liquid diet for a week and only soft foods for at least a month after it...

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

CoastieAsh

#4 Post by CoastieAsh »

Hello!

I just had the SARPE put in on Tuesday :). It really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I am not really in much pain because when the move the nerves in your cheeks for the surgery it desensitizes them so you will feel numb and tingly for a while. My nose bled quite a bit after surgery. By yesterday though, it was done bleeding. I am on a liquid diet but I havn't had too much of an appetite. I don't have braces on yet, just the SARPE. As soon as I came out of surgery I noticed that I do have a small gap already in my two front teeth. I'm not really too worried about it though. I have updated my blog with some pictures and my recollection of the surgery.

I will keep checking back here to see if you have any questions that I may be able to answer.

Ash

DrBlur

#5 Post by DrBlur »

Thanks for sharing!

In my case I'm getting fully braced and the expander put in BEFORE the surgery..I was then told the OS will do the first turn of the expander right after surgery.

Is it uncommon to do it this way?

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

DrBlur

#6 Post by DrBlur »

And I do have to say I'm getting nervous about it...I've only been under general anaesthesia once, and that was when I had my wisdom teeth removed...

But it looks like the recovery is not too bad?

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

AF104

#7 Post by AF104 »

My surgeon completed 12 turns. It's common because the surgeon has to ensure that they created a sufficient fracture for expansion to take place. Wisdom tooth extraction is done under twilight anesthesia. General anesthesia requires airway support.

DrBlur

#8 Post by DrBlur »

^yeah I'm nervous about being put under with a breathing tube, but oh well, I have no choice!

You mean your surgeon turned the expander 12 times right after surgery?? :shock:

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

AF104

#9 Post by AF104 »

During surgery.

DrBlur

#10 Post by DrBlur »

:shock:

Wow, crazy! He only told me he'd do the first turn(s), didn't say how many. Well, I'll see :lol:

-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

CoastieAsh

#11 Post by CoastieAsh »

Hello All!

I wouldn't worry too much about the general anesthesia. I hadn't been put under since I was about 5 when I had my tonsils and adnoids removed. The general anesthesia with my SARPE surgery last week was easy peasy, at least for me. They put the breathing tube in while you are out and they remove it before you wake up. I did get a sore spot in my throat from it but as soon as they gave me a mouthrinse that I could swallow to numb it while I ate and drank it started healing fast. They gave me the mouthwash on Friday and here it is Monday and I don't feel it anymore.

I did get sick a few days after surgery, but I believe it was just from all of the meds I was taking and not having too much on my stomach because the meds supressed my appetite.

My surgeon did the first turn I believe during surgery and since then I have done 15 turns myself. I go back to the orthodontist today. Not sure if I have to turn anymore or not. They wanted to expand me only about 5 or 6 mm.

The turning of the expander has been pretty easy for me too. I feel a little pressure when I am doing it but then it is gone.

Hang in there and stay positive! Don't get yourself worked up too much!