Genioplasty consult tomorrow-advice??

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

simpsonmariah

Genioplasty consult tomorrow-advice??

#1 Post by simpsonmariah »

I am a 19 yr old female and I have been considering sliding genioplasty for a long time now. I first considered jaw surgery but my overbite is not significant enough to go through such a major ordeal, my orthodontist said I could get the results I want with a genio alone. So I am meeting with a surgeon tomorrow and I wanted to ask you guys what are the most important things to ask him so I can make sure he is the right surgeon for me. What are the most important questions? I also wanted to ask all of you, primarily those who have had genioplasty alone, what was it like? Do you have permanent numbness? How soon after the surgery did you look normal? Were you happy with your results? Is there anything you dislike about your results? Pretty much anything anyone can tell me would be very much appreciated. I feel somewhat alone in this in that I don't have the support of my family, they think it is vain and stupid for me to want to get a surgery that is considered cosmetic but they don't understand the years and years I have went through constantly covering up my profile to hide my recessed chin. I just want to look normal. Anyway, any help or advice would be much appreciated, I would love to post pics to show you guys and get your advice on if I should do it or not but I am not sure how to do so, could someone tell me?

mountaingirl

#2 Post by mountaingirl »

I haven't had genio done so I can't answer any of those questions. I don't see a problem with changing something about yourself that has bothered you for so long. It's too bad that some family members can't be supportive. I can understand a certain amount of worry from family members since it is surgery, but hopefully your family will support your decision even if they don't necessary understand or agree with it.

For questions, you could ask to see before and after pics, what you could expect for your case, risks, healing time...whatever is important to you. Good luck with your consult tomorrow. Hope it goes well.
Upper segment and lower jaw advancement on June 23, 2010.

anna1222

#3 Post by anna1222 »

Hi There,

I'm in a very similar situation as you simpsonmariah. I have had braces, etc growing up to correct my bite. They corrected it, but my chin is still too small and recessed compared to the rest of my face. It has been bothering me since then. I have memories of being a child and thinking that I would be pretty if only I had a "normal chin". I didn't really tell anyone about how I felt but now at 25 I decided to do something about it. I met with many different surgeons to find out what my best option would be - some said an implant, some said braces again and having pretty much everything in my face broke, and some said just the genioplasty would be all I need. I did my research and decided on a sliding genioplasty and I'm having the procedure done on the 28th of this month.

I felt really embarrassed telling my family but everyone was really supportive thankfully. I'm married and my husband supports my decision fully which gives me a lot of confidence too. Everytime I told a friend, or co-worker, etc what I was getting done I felt really vain and embarrassed, but after a while I stopped caring. It's my body, I only live once, and that's that. Most people were very happy and understanding. Do your homework and make your decision, this is for you. Most people won't admit it, but we're all picky about out looks, and as far as I'm concerned, you're the braver person admitting it and doing something about, that's inspiring. Rant.

How did your appointment go?

~Anna

simpsonmariah

#4 Post by simpsonmariah »

Hi Anna, it is so great to hear from someone in a similar situation and that is wonderful that you have the support from everyone around you, you are very lucky. I met with the surgeon yesterday, he was the second surgeon I met with the first recommended him to me because he said he was the best of the best for genioplasty. He was very kind and knowledgeable and talked to me for nearly two hours free of charge as I went down my 2 page list of questions! Are you getting yours done by a plastic surgeon or oral surgeon? I have heard of both doing it and I was impressed by this doctor being trained as both an oral surgeon and a plastic surgeon. One thing he said that scared me a bit was that because I have fuller cheeks, creating that space by moving my chin forward may cause me to age faster or something due to my cheeks sagging down into that space. Have you heard of anything relating to this? That really scared me, as does the possibility of permanent numbness, and as does the possibility of complications during surgery with anesthesia. How are you getting over all of your fears relating to the surgery because that is really the only thing holding me back at this point. Did your doctor give you a computer image of what you might look like? How many mm are you having your chin moved? lol so many questions I am sorry it is just great to hear from someone else who is having just a genioplasty and you are having it so soon I bet you are excited!

simpsonmariah

#5 Post by simpsonmariah »

Thank you mountaingirl for your response. It really is too bad that my family members aren't supportive, it is definitely one of the things that is holding me back from doing the surgery. My mom is the most supportive out of everyone but she still thinks it is silly and stupid to risk so much for something like this, she says. My older sister comes into town in a couple of days and I can't even imagine what she will say she is going to be the worst out of all of them she is extremely stubborn and against anything relating to cosmetic surgery. I hate when they compare this to other plastic surgeries as if it is the equivalent of a breast augmentation or liposuction when it really isn't. I see this as a deformity almost and I just want my chin and profile to be normal, that is it, I shouldn't have to live my youth worrying about it and hiding myself, it really holds me back. I keep telling myself I need to do this for me and I will regret it later if I don't and then I start thinking that I am being vain and should I really take a risk like this just to fix something cosmetic. I don't know, I am torn right now but I need to decide soon because if I am going to do it it has to be during the summer before next semester starts. This forum has been really great to read so many other stories that people have been through and to at least have some form of support, even if it is through the internet!

mountaingirl

#6 Post by mountaingirl »

I think it could be considered similar to breast augmentation or liposuction as they are all for cosmetic reasons. If a woman feels just as you do about her breasts, how is it different? I don't think it's fair to think if someone has a different cosmetic surgery the reasons are more or less vain. The bottom line for me is, if you want to change something then change it if it will make you happier.
Upper segment and lower jaw advancement on June 23, 2010.

simpsonmariah

#7 Post by simpsonmariah »

I definitely can see that it is similar, but I see this as somewhat different simply because I feel that it is more of a deformity than something like small breasts or fat on ones legs or anything like that. Had I had the correct orthodontics as a child my jaw would be where it supposed to be and I wouldn't have an under bite. Now that I am an adult the only way to fix it is through major surgery and fortunately this more minor surgery is available to sort of conceal the issue instead of completely fixing it. I just meant that there are plenty of things I am not happy with about my body or face, but they are part of me and I wouldn't consider them flaws and change them. This is something that doesn't feel like me and I feel that it is an abnormality.

simpsonmariah

#8 Post by simpsonmariah »

oops meant overbite not underbite

anna1222

#9 Post by anna1222 »

I thought of my chin situation in a similar way - as a deformity. As a child I should of probably had my jaw broken but I didn't. As an adult I'm not happy with how I look. I feel like doing a genioplasty would mask the problem that should of been fixed a long time ago, with the same result. I felt that this was different than getting a breast augmentation, etc. "It's not like I'm getting a boob job" is what I said. After a conversation I had with a family member I came to realize that's not really that much different than a "boob job" because someone could genuinely be extremely unhappy with their small breasts and feel insecure to the point where they feel they need to do something about it. I don't think there is anything wrong with changing a part of your body that you're not happy with. Why spend the rest of your life feeling badly about yourself and insecure? I'm doing something about my chin now so I don't have to feel that way any longer. Some people may call it vain but deep down we all care about what we look like.

I went to oral surgeons and plastic surgeons before I made my decision. I decided on a plastic surgeon in Toronto who does only face procedures. I did a lot of research on him and have 100% confidence in his abilities. I haven't heard about fuller cheeks creating space and therefore causing faster aging before. My doctor said that a stronger chin would actually help with the aging process. People who have stronger features usually have less sagging. I do worry about permanent numbness but like I said I'm very confident in my surgeon, that makes all the difference. He's only had one patient who had some permanent numbness and that patient was getting a lot of surgeries all at once, that included the breaking of many different bones in his face. The fact that he was so honest to me about that makes me trust him more. I'm not as worried about the anesthesia because I was put under when I had my wisdom teeth taken out and was fine, but I do worry about it a little. My doctor didn't give me an image prediction.

I've been thinking about this surgery for over a year now. I've been weighing the pros and cons and I feel the pros far outweigh the cons. Doing a lot of research on the procedure has also helped me get over my fears. I really can't explain why I'm not more scared... it's something I just really want and I think it will change my life.

anna1222

#10 Post by anna1222 »

I thought of my chin situation in a similar way - as a deformity. As a child I should of probably had my jaw broken but I didn't. As an adult I'm not happy with how I look. I feel like doing a genioplasty would mask the problem that should of been fixed a long time ago, with the same result. I felt that this was different than getting a breast augmentation, etc. "It's not like I'm getting a boob job" is what I said. After a conversation I had with a family member I came to realize that's not really that much different than a "boob job" because someone could genuinely be extremely unhappy with their small breasts and feel insecure to the point where they feel they need to do something about it. I don't think there is anything wrong with changing a part of your body that you're not happy with. Why spend the rest of your life feeling badly about yourself and insecure? I'm doing something about my chin now so I don't have to feel that way any longer. Some people may call it vain but deep down we all care about what we look like.

I went to oral surgeons and plastic surgeons before I made my decision. I decided on a plastic surgeon in Toronto who does only face procedures. I did a lot of research on him and have 100% confidence in his abilities. I haven't heard about fuller cheeks creating space and therefore causing faster aging before. My doctor said that a stronger chin would actually help with the aging process. People who have stronger features usually have less sagging. I do worry about permanent numbness but like I said I'm very confident in my surgeon, that makes all the difference. He's only had one patient who had some permanent numbness and that patient was getting a lot of surgeries all at once, that included the breaking of many different bones in his face. The fact that he was so honest to me about that makes me trust him more. I'm not as worried about the anesthesia because I was put under when I had my wisdom teeth taken out and was fine, but I do worry about it a little. My doctor didn't give me an image prediction.

I've been thinking about this surgery for over a year now. I've been weighing the pros and cons and I feel the pros far outweigh the cons. Doing a lot of research on the procedure has also helped me get over my fears. I really can't explain why I'm not more scared... it's something I just really want and I think it will change my life.

simpsonmariah

#11 Post by simpsonmariah »

Again thank you for your response and for all of the information! Would you mind if I PM'd you, or is there even a way to PM you pictures so I could get the opinion of someone else who has the same problem on my chin now and how it could possibly look?

anna1222

#12 Post by anna1222 »

Yea, for sure! I'm sort of new to this site too, but I think there is a little PM button at the bottom left of this message.

anna1222

#13 Post by anna1222 »

Nm, I'll just PM you! Duh.

humorme

sliding genioplasty

#14 Post by humorme »

I had sliding genioplasty done a long time ago and the result was good. I remember having numbness for a long time(18 months or so) after the surgery but i have absolutely no numbness anymore. The feeling in your lips usually returns gradually and over a long period of time, so you will have to be patient :). Good luck with your consultation.

HM

Moloko

Re: Genioplasty consult tomorrow-advice??

#15 Post by Moloko »

Hey anna1222 i am looking for good PS for genioplasty in Toronto, just wondering if you would be kind enough to share your experience with me.... i am a new member and not sure how to PM you ...