Mandibular sagittal split osteotomy

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

raychno21

Mandibular sagittal split osteotomy

#1 Post by raychno21 »

Hey Guys,
My surgery is on the 22nd July in Hereford, UK and I am getting my lower jaw lengthened 6mm to correct an overbite. I am getting really really nervous now, had my pre-op assesment and it made it all a bit more real that it's happening next week. If anyone has had this surgery and can share their story with me I would appreciate it so much!

Got a few questions, How bad was the pain when you woke from surgery? Do i get morphine?

asmileconnectsus

#2 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Hi ray! so many of us on this board have had this surgery (plus the upper). I had both upper and lower surgery, my pain when I woke up was more like confusion and i could not breathe well (due to the movement by my nasal passages). I threw-up several times in recovery, but I was given as much morphine as I needed and my time in the hospital was as good as it could be. Good luck to you in your surgery! Remember your surgeon (surgeons office) are a great resource! Do not hesitate to contact them with questions! I have a blog of my experience... amileconnectsus.blogspot.com

I wish you the best of luck!

indecisive1

#3 Post by indecisive1 »

Hi Ray, I had a bimax osteotomy (both jaws) plus a genioplasty. I truly believe everyone's experience is different. Just rest assured that you won't be in any pain. When I woke up I just felt very tired and swollen. I just wanted to sleep. As far as pain control goes I was pretty much in control of the morphine but you're so numb and swollen that you really don't feel much. I had no problem with my breathing and no nausea. Every hour the nurses would come and check up on me and ask me if I needed to throw up. I was fine though! Don't stress too much! I think the hardest thing is when you're back at home and all the swelling and numbness starts to subside, that's when you start feeling the pain, but again you are given meds for this. I wish you all the very best and am sure you will be fine!!