8 days post op - advice please!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

raychno21

8 days post op - advice please!

#1 Post by raychno21 »

Hey Guys,
So had my Lower jaw moved forward 8 days ago and the operation and recovery went extremely well. Been in no pain at all. I was banded shut and was on a liquid diet and on my 1 week post op appointment with my surgeon thought i'd get the bands loosened and then the following week get my bite waifer removed (a plastic thing wired to my brace sitting on my lower teeth) But he informed me it would be another 3 weeks before either of these are done! So I will have to be on a liquid diet for 4 weeks in total :( I am just so demoralised as was so hoping to even start eating mashed potato or scrambled eggs around about now but can't open my mouth much at all. I was just wondering if anyone has any encouraging stories of being on a liquid diet for this long and how they coped? I was going to go back to work 2 weeks after my operation but now I am on a liquid diet I am scared I won't have the energy to work in a busy cafe. I am only contracted to 16 hours a week so will at least get most of the week off.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#2 Post by blindboarder2008 »

sorry to hear that you have to keep the splint and tight bands on for longer. they really are a pain but its will be better in the long run cause your jaw can be more stable and be able to recover and have a greater chance of healing properly. The biggest thing is just make sure you are getting enough in to you. I know its hard, I've been through that but just try your best especially if you are planning on going back to work. Another thing is to eat as much variety as you possibly can so you dont get bored of the food. I know I know liquid diets suck and it gets boring just having liquid but just think about all of the positives that will come out of all of this once you are nicely healed and the smile you will have to show off! Check out the top of this forum for some recipes of people who have been on soft diet or liquid diet, there is quite an array of them on here!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

revolutionary

#3 Post by revolutionary »

I ended up being on a liquid diet, banded tightly shut for 6 weeks. I'm not going to lie. It sucked. I thought I was going to be fully de-braced right before my birthday, but it turned out they only took off a few bands instead of the whole shebang, so that was disappointing. The whole was depressing *in the moment*, and it got old reeaaalll fast. But I had a good support system (my mom, namely) who made sure I was eating enough, TV to keep me entertained, homework to do, and weekly doctor visits, and before I knew it, it was all over.

Looking back, it actually went by pretty quickly. Just keep on thinking about that end result. Think of how much time and effort you've put into this and how little 4 weeks is in the time span of having a bad bite your whole life. Keep looking at the progress you're making, watch the swelling go down, etc.... I wish I could give you better advice... Just hang in there, you'll get through. :wink:
- Alison