Diagnose me. Would you recommend surgery.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tdawg7669

Diagnose me. Would you recommend surgery.

#1 Post by tdawg7669 »

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v349/ ... 0_0930.SPAM SPAM SPAM

I took a video since it was easier to show everything. I have some lip incompetence and what appears to me to be a recessed jaw or chin or both. I dont think the video does the problems justice or maybe I just have BDD but I feel like there is something seriously wrong with my face.

chicago29

#2 Post by chicago29 »

Yes, I'd say your jaw and/or chin is slightly recessed. If this is the only issue, would I do surgery? Absolutely not.

This is a very common issue and yeah, it isn't classified as a "desirable" trait, but if everybody with a recessed jaw or weak chin had jaw surgery this message board would have 10 times the members!!

Do yourself a favor to make you feel better - Start paying attention to strangers. Look at their profile. I'd be willing to bet that you will find that 25% or more have the same look as you do. Many of those 25% are going to be a lot worse than you.

If you have a good bite and your teeth are in good alignment, I would absolutely rule out jaw surgery. You could look at a genioplasty or chin implant as a much less invasive procedure if your problems really bothered you.

Good Luck
Chicago29

tdawg7669

#3 Post by tdawg7669 »

Do you think that such a procedure, would give a normal appearance and fix the issue?

On a scale of 1 to 10 how severe would you say my issue is?

bb

#4 Post by bb »

I think you look great!

tdawg7669

#5 Post by tdawg7669 »

Thank you for the kind post, but I would like an honest assessment of how severe my retrognathia is.

Why couldnt I just be born normal? I also have asymmetry that is ridiculously apparent in video and photo but not when I look at myself in the mirror, and not to most others.

My molars actually line up in a class 1 on my left side and class 3 on my right, probrably due to my crossbite. I think my main issue is that my Maxilla grew down instead of around the tongue. As a result the open bite due to the excess in the posterior region is causing my chin to rotate down, giving it the recessed appearance and causing the lip incompetence.

chicago29

#6 Post by chicago29 »

tdawg7669 wrote:Do you think that such a procedure, would give a normal appearance and fix the issue?

On a scale of 1 to 10 how severe would you say my issue is?
1) Would jaw surgery help you? Probably...

2) Would it give you a "normal" appearance? What's that?? What is "normal"? We are all unique individuals so this is impossible to answer. What I can tell you is you certainly don't look "abnormal" by any stretch. By looking at your video I would have never thought of a jaw issue without you specifically pointing it out. And, I have absolutely no reason to lie to you...I don't know you.

3) I'd say, at best, you're a borderline case for jaw surgery. I can't put a number on it not seeing your bite.

Listen, it doesn't matter what any of us think. It matters what you think, and clearly this bothers you.

If I were you I'd go to a couple of oral surgeon consultations, as well as an orthodontist to talk about the bite/crossbite. That can probably be fixed with elastics if it isn't severe. Gather up the information and make an informed decision...

Have you had any consultations? Quit diagnosing yourself because you're just going to drive yourself nuts. Trust me...I speak from experience on that :D

-Chicago29

tdawg7669

#7 Post by tdawg7669 »

Well I am 5 months into braces. The ortho said that he isnt recommending surgery right now but to wait and see how things look in a few months. He thinks at least 90% of my orthodontic problems can be fixed without surgery. The oral surgeon who referred me to him told me he thought I would need SARPE.

I didnt bring up the issue of my face because aesthetic issues arent covered by my insurance.

chicago29

#8 Post by chicago29 »

Well, keep with the plan and see what happens in a few months.

And, you're clearly a VERY smart person - Never talk about the cosmetic motivations/concerns until you're pre-approved by insurance!! Believe me, oral surgeons know how to play the game to get things approved. And, it absolutely is a game...

-Chicago29

yvonner1991

#9 Post by yvonner1991 »

your really cute, I think your jaw is fine. But if your teeth don't bite properly then you should get it. It would improve your profile alot though. I'm getting jaw surgery specifically to fix my bite (underbite) even though i dont have health related problems with it. I'm sure it would be fine and a good improvement

danceparty

#10 Post by danceparty »

I'm in the exact same situation pretty much. I have a class 3 but my chin sticks out a lot so my facial profile doesn't look that bad. It's a bit recessed but pretty much unnoticeable unless I bite down on my teeth. The thing is my bottom teeth are getting chipped and I'm worried what will happen in the future. Plus my front teeth are recessed and crooked and I wouldn't mind having a bigger chin. I dont know, I'm still up in arms with this whole thing because my case isn't that severe, but it seems like its the only route to straight teeth.

lisab28

my honest opinion

#11 Post by lisab28 »

hi,

i think you look really cute and that you're really good looking. i would NOT do braces or genio. i had a genio and had it reversed. genio can change the look of your entire face dramatically and it can make u look like an entirely different person, b/c it elongates your face. as the chin goes forward, it also goes down, giving you a longer face. genios that arent paired w/ jaw surgery are generally moved more mm since they arent complimenting other jaw procedures too. mine was 8 mm and ppl said i looked like a completely different person. also bc the 8 mm is from where the chin would be parallel, since the movement doesnt take into account the backwards slant that my chin was at since it moved it 8 mm from where it was parallel.

i dont notice anything wrong w/ your chin or your jaw line. i think you area very good looking guy. id give u a 9 or 10 out of 10. have u seen the movie the social network? the twins in that movie were conventially perfect looking, but i personally prefered the other 2 main male characters. unless you want to look like ken the barbie doll, id say leave yourself be. you are a very good looking guy, by pretty conventional standards, but you dont look like a plastic doll. that isnt to say that you have imperfections, its just to say that you're not 100% symmetrical or whatever. more like 90 or 95 percent.

i think you are a very good looking guy. if i were u, i may quit braces too, bc that could mess up your jaw line and make things look worse. id say you should focus on developing other parts of yourself instead, like personality, hobbies, goals etc.

goodluck! remember, if u dont like the jaw surgery and u do get it, it may not be reversible, and it could look really bad. surgeons can be very convincing. pictures that they say you look like could be a complete lie, too, like mine were. and yes, my surgeon was highly repudable and had a fancy office and years of experience as well. keep in mind that what an oral surgeon may recommend is also a way for him to keep his business going.

lisab28

#12 Post by lisab28 »

also, getting surgery will probably not make you look like ken the barbie doll. it will probably make you look bad. having jaw surgery when you dont need it, in my strong opinion, will only make you look bad.

it may just be all in your head as a mental problem, which can feel very real (body dysmorphia). i really dont think theres anything wrong w/ you and that you are far above average looking.

dayeangphurr

#13 Post by dayeangphurr »

I dont think the video does the problems justice or maybe I just have BDD but I feel like there is something seriously wrong with my face.
I can totally relate to you! And I can definitely see where you're coming from regarding your retrognathia and how it is an incredible bother when others don't see it. I have an overbite, recessed jaw + chin and slight lip incompetence. And aesthetically, I'm not fond of the way I look at all either. I have had friends and family who tell me that I looked fine and then I would feel offended, and not comforted lol. However I realized, asking an outsider, they only see my outer appearance which seems fine to them as personally, it doesn't affect them. And they don't actually feel the functional problems that I experience so I do believe aesthetics and functionality go hand in hand when it comes to these things. I have breathing issues because of my retrognathia as I am a mouth breather. And mouth breathing simply isn't healthy. But a person who naturally breathes from their nose wouldn't know at all how being a mouth breather affects one's life negatively. It's tough seeking opinions regarding appearances, because if an issue isn't obvious enough, it would just seem fine to the public's eyes. Anyways, I hope that makes sense...but I definitely get how you feel. Best of luck to you.

tdawg7669

#14 Post by tdawg7669 »

And of course I get a mix bag of responses.

To the poster who advised against braces, Im already like 5 months in. I needed to close an openbite and fix a crossbite.

I think Im just going to wait and see what my orthodontist says in a few months. Now that I analyze things more closely, the discrepancy from my jaws do not seem huge(molar relationship is 1 on one side and slight class 3 on the other), it just seems like my teeth are too far forward, giving me thicker lips. I feel like if my teeth were pulled back it would allow my lips to move back, providing seal while giving my chin more definition.

Now that I think about it my ortho did say something about extracting my wisdom teeth and moving the rest back. Maybe that will solve my problem.

bracedfaced

#15 Post by bracedfaced »

I am a girl and I think you look good! I don't think there is anything "unattractive" about your chin at all.

If you have bite problems that cannot be fixed with orthodontics alone, then yes, by all means, go for jaw surgery.

If braces will resolve the issue of your bite, and you are still unhappy with your profile, seek out a genioplasty by a board certification plastic surgeon.