Cost of surgery as a private patient in the UK?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Schnapple

Cost of surgery as a private patient in the UK?

#1 Post by Schnapple »

Dear all,

I am currently having treatment on the NHS. I have had my braces for 22 months now and this treatment was done via a private orthodontist. After the orthodontist could no longer do anymore, my GP doctor referred me to an NHS dental hospital. However, being on the NHS I have just had my intial appointment 3 months ago. My 2nd appointment still hasn't arrived yet. I am guessing the waiting list is HUGE because the clinic only opens a few hours once a week and there are a lot of patients. I am in rather a midst of discomfort and would like to therefore proceed treatment swiftly.

I am just wondering whether anybody knows how much approximately jaw surgery as a private patient in the UK costs? I have no private health insurance as none of the suppliers will consider me. They say that I have already begun treatment on the NHS and is it not a new problem. Therefore, I will have to self-pay for any treatment I decide to have as a private patient - ranging from MRIs, X-rays, physio, medication and care and lastly, surgery.

Also, has anybody ever gone down this route?

Thanks all.

sarahorsomeone

#2 Post by sarahorsomeone »

I was in a rather odd situation. I started my orthodontic treatment (in preparation for jaw surgery) on the NHS, and was supposed to receive my jaw surgery on the NHS but my hospital lost the only surgeon it had which was qualified for the job due to ill health, couldn't find a new one or refer me to another hospital and I could potentially have ended up waiting years (with braces) to get my surgery.

Consequently, I see my orthodontist on the NHS and my surgeon privately.

Overall it's ended up costing just under £6,000:
£1,500 for the surgeon and his assistant, including consultations and follow-ups etc
£500 for the aneathestist
about £1,600 for my plates
and everything else was hospital bills and drugs etc (though it would have been a bit cheaper had I had my treatment privately in an NHS hospital rather than a private hospital)

I should however point out that I have reason to believe most surgeons charge a lot more than that, even in the UK. My orthodontist was asking me about how much it cost at my last appointment (he works at the hospital and a lot of patients are in the same situation I was), even he said "well Mr _______ is a very nice man" when I told him how little my surgeon charged.

He's well respected and experienced too, so obviously not just charging low prices because that's all he can get. I just don't think he's that keen on the idea of private treatment for people who should be entitled to it on the NHS. At my first consultation he wanted to find out if there was any way he could refer me to himself on the NHS (turns out there wasn't); because he "wasn't interested" in my money and would "rather have (his) weekend off" than a "bribe".

I'm sure there must be other surgeons like him out there, you just might have to look around. In my past experiences of private healthcare, it's typical to spend £150-£250 on a 15 minute consulation with a consultant of any sort. Which is why £1,500 for a four hour surgery, over an hours worth of consultations, two visits post-op in hospital, a trip over to my orthodontist in his own time to double check things, moulds and impressions etc.. it's pretty amazing!

sarahorsomeone

#3 Post by sarahorsomeone »

Just to say, I live in Essex (and so does my surgeon).. I see you live in the North; if you were further down South I'd offer to give you his name. I was treated appallingly by the nurses in hospital, but I was delighted with every aspect of the treatment he gave me (in fact he's supporting me in a complaint against the treatment I received from the nurses.)

Emmauk

#4 Post by Emmauk »

Whats the name of your surgeon?, i have only just begun treatment and am not expecting to have my surgery for another 18 months to 2 years but i know that recently my surgeon has been off sick for some time (already 6 months) and they dont know if he'll be back for my surgery.

He is the big surgeon who works at all my local hospitals (Southend, Basildon and Chelmsford).

Im just curious where you had your surgery especially as you say the nurses didnt look after you very well - i'll make sure i avoid it if i can.

sarahorsomeone

#5 Post by sarahorsomeone »

Emmauk wrote:Whats the name of your surgeon?, i have only just begun treatment and am not expecting to have my surgery for another 18 months to 2 years but i know that recently my surgeon has been off sick for some time (already 6 months) and they dont know if he'll be back for my surgery.

He is the big surgeon who works at all my local hospitals (Southend, Basildon and Chelmsford).

Im just curious where you had your surgery especially as you say the nurses didnt look after you very well - i'll make sure i avoid it if i can.
I' ve PM'd you. :)