cheeks

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

24braceface

cheeks

#1 Post by 24braceface »

I see so many people on here complaining that they have flat cheeks and want to get cheek implants. My problem is the opposite. I have chubby cheeks. I'm thin but my cheeks are chubby. Also one side of my face is bigger than the other. Does jaw surgery change the appearance of the cheeks at all?

RyanND

Re: cheeks

#2 Post by RyanND »

I feel if you dont have issues with your bite at all look at other options. Jaw surgery is pretty extreme for "chubby" cheeks imo

Christina28

#3 Post by Christina28 »

There is a procedure called a buccal lipectomy that can correct "chubby cheeks". It is cosmetic and usually done by plastic surgeons. They remove some of the fat through an incision inside the mouth. This will give your cheekbones more definition.

24braceface

#4 Post by 24braceface »

RyanND wrote:I feel if you dont have issues with your bite at all look at other options. Jaw surgery is pretty extreme for "chubby" cheeks imo
I'm having the surgery for purely functional reasons (my bite effects my speech, etc).

JawFacee

#5 Post by JawFacee »

I am currently 5 weeks post-op and I hope I can shed some light.

Before the surgery I had a deep overbite which resulted in a "bulge" on either side of my cheeks. Now that my jaw and chin (I also had a Genioplasty and bone graft) are balanced, so to speak, my face finally looks "normal". I had a short lower jaw before, so they lengthened my jaw to give me a more balanced appearance.

It's hard for me to give you an accurate answer, since I have no idea what your bite looks like and that I'm not a professional. :) Just based on my experiences, having balanced and proportionate jaws have affected the overall look of the face, which (for me, anyways) helped to "thin out" my face.

Make sure to ask your surgeon next time to clarify, he or she will have a better answer than mine!