Random General Questions Post-Op

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jonathon003

Random General Questions Post-Op

#1 Post by jonathon003 »

i've realized that my surgeon really didn't explain all that much to me prior to surgery, or after for that matter. even things like 'do not blow your nose for a few weeks post-surgery' was something i read online with no prior knowledge to. so i have a few questions hopefully i can get feedback on. also anyone can use this thread as a means to ask simple questions without having to create a whole new thread.

1. what is the reason for not being able to blow your nose? i mean i've been cleaning my nose out fairly thoroughly with either tissue, or q-tips (and even the odd pick action recently with the finger to dislodge some tougher dried up blood chunks lol) so i'm wondering why you're allowed to clean thoroughly but not blow. ie. i want to know if what i'm doing has been ok.

2. i know you're not supposed to be sucking through a straw, but what about normal sucking without moving your lips. like when to suck back the fluids in your mouth to prevent them from drooling out. i've actually been doing this a lot, and i really hope it hasn't been dangerous.

Rodney008

Re: Random General Questions Post-Op

#2 Post by Rodney008 »

Regarding your first question don't blow your nose for a while. At least until your doctor tells you it is ok. Blowing will cause your face and sinuses to swell. It will also prolong the overall swelling in your face.

Regarding your second question, you should be ok with slurping. I'd avoid sucking on straws until those incisions inside your mouth are healed though.

kelhuntley

#3 Post by kelhuntley »

Hmmm weird... I wasn't told no straws and in fact they supplied me with them in hospital!! I know in the past I haven't been able to use them when getting wisdom teeth out as they remove the blood clot leaving you with a painful dry socket (which I ended up getting - horrible!!!). But as far as I know it is okay with surgery. I haven't had any problems anyway :)
Goal:
To have the "perfect" smile before my 30th birthday - 29th November 2011

Braces:
Upper and Lower - 29th July 2009

Surgery:
Bilateral Sagittal Split Advancement Osteotomies of the Mandible (Lower Jaw +12mm) & Genioplasty (Chin -2mm) - 21st March 2011

qwertz1

#4 Post by qwertz1 »

1. your maxillary sinus has been cut open during the surgery.
the rule is about the pressure, similarily you are not supposed to hold it in when you sneeze.

Bullfighter

#5 Post by Bullfighter »

qwertz1 wrote:1. your maxillary sinus has been cut open during the surgery.
the rule is about the pressure, similarily you are not supposed to hold it in when you sneeze.
I think this is correct -- you're supposed to sneeze with your mouth open (and hopefully not near anyone...) That relieves the pressure.

Also, my mouth was pretty swollen the week after surgery and I don't think there's any way I could have sealed my lips enough to use a straw.

I love my teeth

#6 Post by I love my teeth »

I was told no straws for 10days--and I don't think I could have used one anyway!

I didn't have upper jaw, so I can't weigh in on that....but the sneezing, I can say don't hold it in!! I don't think I could have, it hurt too much----I am 10 weeks post op and still can't do a cute, little ladylike sneeze in public, it feels weird, like my jaw can't handle the pressure.

good luck!
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

sarz

#7 Post by sarz »

Hi, I would advise anyone with any questions post surgery to contact their surgeon. Afterall it is them that provided the surgery and should know your individual cases well enough to answer any questions you have.
:soremouth:
No Regrets Just Lessons Learned
"What can we do to prevent this from happening again"?

chicago29

#8 Post by chicago29 »

Your surgeon should have given you post-op instructions. I think almost all surgeons ask you not to blow your nose or hold a sneeze for at least 10 to 14 days. Mine said no blowing of the nose for 3 weeks. The reason is because you have blood clots in the posterior area of your nose and in your sinus areas. You can't see these, but if you blow your nose or hold a sneeze you can interrupt them and cause the clots to break. At that point, you could have quite a bleeding episode.

Be sure you're following your surgeons directions...And I posted on another thread that you shouldn't be touching your nose with ANYTHING unless your surgeon said it was OK. I know having them filled with dried blood sucks...but you need to do what they say. Every time you put something up there you're greatly increasing the chances of infection or disrupting formed clots.

Best of luck!

-Chicago29

Chicagogal

#9 Post by Chicagogal »

Yeah, not cool to not get instructions! I'm sure the surgeon probably thought the nurse ran through post-op stuff with you or at least gave you a printout of instructions after all surgery!

I'll be echoing what everyone said, it's all about pressure.
They told me to try not to sneeze, as if it's so easy to just stop sneezing! I had to hold my mouth open when I sneezed though to make sure I didn't create the pressure, forgot once and my nose started gushing blood. Your sinuses are just fragile shelves that are already inflamed after surgery. cleaning out your nose should be fine.

And stitches, don't want high suction against incisions that have blood clots.

If you go in for a post-op soon you should feel free to call him out on that though (not in a mean way necessarily, but they should know you felt a little lost).
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.