Nervous about wisdom teeth, pre double jaw surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

trossi

Nervous about wisdom teeth, pre double jaw surgery

#1 Post by trossi »

Hey!!
I'm having my wisdom teeth removed in about a week as part of the preparation for double jaw surgery. I am pretty nervous because thats just how I am about these things but also because I won't have a whole lot of recovery time. Does anyone have any tips for a speedy recovery? I have about 3 days to recover before I am back in classes and I am hoping to be close to 100%. I have so far bought ice packs for my face and I just got a new blender to make smoothies since I probably won't be chewing anything tough for a little bit. the blender will probably also assist me majorly when I do have the double jaw surgery. Thanks for any suggestions.

Terra

Emmauk

Re: Nervous about wisdom teeth, pre double jaw surgery

#2 Post by Emmauk »

Hi

To say i am a worrier is a massive understatement and i got throught it so you can too.

I had my wisdoms out in October and it was fine, i was very lucky and suffered no pain, i would say slightly tender the following day but it was all fine.

Just try to make sure you dont get dry socket, the best way is to just keep your mouth as clean as possible by using salt water rinses after eating or drinking.

xx

TheDude

#3 Post by TheDude »

I got six teeth removed including wisdom teeth in preparation for double jaw surgery. I was nervous also in the build up to it, but I can honestly say it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd imagined. Its the whole build up to the surgery that is scary. Once you get put under it will all be over without you having any idea.

I was not swollen at all but had minor pain that I took painkillers for and I was fine after a few days of rest.

Just take it easy for about a week after if you can.

Dressy1

#4 Post by Dressy1 »

Emmauk wrote:Hi

Just try to make sure you dont get dry socket, the best way is to just keep your mouth as clean as possible by using salt water rinses after eating or drinking.

xx
Huh?
One should NOT rinse especially for the first 48 hours.
One should not keep ice packs for too long and cotton pads for more than 15 mins. This helps to prevent the dry socket, not "rinsing". Rinsing creates dry socket. as well as drinking with a straw (DO NOT DO THAT!) or smoking.
I had a dry socket when I had my first wisdom tooth extracted. It was only one tooth and it ached like hell.
Next time I had my teeth extracted I knew what to do better. I did not keep the cotton in my mouth for two long. It did bleed longer, but healed faster in the end.
I had three teeth extracted, 2 wisdom and one second molar - no problem or that much pain at all.

Emmauk

#5 Post by Emmauk »

When i had my 5 teeth out i was told to rinse with salt water to try to keep mouth as clean as possible. The first 48 hours after the extration it should be done very very gently not agressive swishing but more like letting the salt water move around by tilting head.

The important part is that whilst the blood clots in the extraction holes are in place then you shouldn't get dry socket if you are not careful enough then eating, drinking and indeed rinsing out your mouth may dislodge the clots.

Im sure when the hospital discharge you they will go through to do's and dont's.

trossi

#6 Post by trossi »

Hey Everyone!
Thanks for the tips, I got the wisdom teeth out and it went perfect.
I actually stayed away from solid foods for almost the whole week and I am starving for real food now! I started with the salt water and brushing my teeth the day after surgery. It felt so good to brush them. Now I still have holes in my jaw but they aren't huge so it hasn't really been a hassle. I had no pain and I iced all day the first day therefore I had no swelling either.
I can't wait for my double jaw surgery now, wish it was sooner.