Hi there...I'm new and I'm getting jaw surgery in a month...

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rosie0318

Hi there...I'm new and I'm getting jaw surgery in a month...

#1 Post by Rosie0318 »

....and I need your help!

I would love to get feedback from those that have gotten the surgery. I have been waiting for this moment for almost 15 years and its finally going to become a reality. I have done research and I feel pretty confident about my decision, but I would love to get more insight from someone that has been through this. Are there any things that I need to know...things to buy prior to surgery, how long will I feel crappy, what should/shouldn't I do, etc..

Here is a little bit about me and my surgery:

I'm 28 years old
Married/no children
Surgeon is only working on my lower chin..pushing it back 4 centimeters
Insurance will cover hospital/anesthesia, but I need to pay for surgeon fee
I've had braces for 2 years already (annoying...lol)

The reason I want to THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN with some of you is because I am sick and tired of telling others about this surgery and them putting me and my decision down. I want to talk to those (like you) that have been through this experience. I am going to need the emotional support :-)

Thanks for reading and hope to hear back from some of you.

Rosie

Sams

Re: Hi there...I'm new and I'm getting jaw surgery in a mont

#2 Post by Sams »

Hi Rosie, you've found a really good website here. I've found loads of really helpful info just by trawling through the forums and messages and using 'search' to look for specifics. I just had upper jaw surgery, so not the same as you. If your jaws will be banded together after the op then you'll need a blender to puree food and I've bought a cup with a lid and spout which is really helpful for drinking. Hope that helps a bit. Sams

DRG

#3 Post by DRG »

Rosie - I can relate. Looking back, I think only my wife, my father, and my dentist understood just why I wanted to get my bite fixed through surgery (my orthodontist and oral surgeon don't count). My wife put up with years and years of me threatening to call and make an appointment before I finally did that. My father has lived his life with the same open bite that I had suffered with, while naturally my dentist "got it" and even provided a kick in the rump to get me to take action and make that initial appointment.

I had friends and family that would repeatedly ask me if I got a second opinion, implying that I was rushing into this decision. When I would reply that I had gotten more than two opinions and had been considering this choice for well over ten years they still wouldn't buy in. I suppose they didn't realize what my bite really was like as I kept it pretty well hidden (which was easy as my upper teeth previously sat high behind my lips). Nor did many people realize how much I wanted the ability to eat a sandwich normally without wearing parts of it (typically the tomato). Not to mention how I would never show my teeth purposefully in a picture.

This forum has been quite helpful in discussing just this topic. The biggest take away has been that there are plenty of other folks that are going through the same process, and we completely understand your experience. It's been tremendously helpful to read the happy stories of oral surgery patients describing the end of their treatment and how pleased each and every one is with the decision to fix their bite. It's not an easy process, and I certainly had some days that I spent second guessing my choices (eating a liquid diet plays tricks on your mind). But I like to say that when I'm done I'll have a two million dollar smile, while my wife is planning a family photo session where I will be happy to show off my smile for the first time in years.

DRG
Braces: 1986-1988
Open bite was not resolved
Braces again (at age 35): 15 APRIL 2010
Lefort I & IVRO: 21 FEB 2011
Unwired! 25 MAR 2011
Braces removed revealing my perfect bite: 4 JAN 2012

Rosie0318

#4 Post by Rosie0318 »

Thank you guys so much!

I was chatting with someone who had an open bite and she pretty much told me that I should find a forum (like this one) in order to connect with others that have been through this. She went through a hard time since she didn't really know many people going through the same thing, as well as all of the comments and criticism from others regarding her decision.

I know that in the end my smile and profile will look a million times better - it's just that I'm a bit scared of the swelling, the pain, the appearance, the eating, etc. From your experiences, how long would you guys say it took for the swelling to come down? I know i'm stressing this a bit much, but since I work full time, the more time off from work means the less money i'll receive :-/

Luckily, I will have my mom and husband with me through this process.

Thank you all very much and I hope to make new online buddies from this forum!

XOXO

streo

#5 Post by streo »

Rosie

My initial reason for getting this done was for cosmetic reasons (is that so bad?). The first oral surgeon I talked to told me I had a major "deformity" (as he kept putting it) and that I must get it done. The second oral surgeon had no idea why I was seeing him, so instead of telling him, I just bit on my back teeth; needless to say, he understood exactly why I was there in no time at all. The third oral surgeon I spoke to told me that I needed the surgery but the last time he did this surgery was 20 years ago (I knew this, just wanted his highly reputable opinion).

So I got the braces installed, and my teeth have moved quite dramatically; oh yeah, the orthodontist also told me I needed this surgery (I was referred to him by the first two oral surgeons). I'm now beginning to see that the functional aspect of having this surgery may outweigh the cosmetic aspects. Now that my teeth are shifting into the "proper" place, I'm starting to suffer most of the symptoms most people suffer when doing this for non-cosmetic reasons (sleep problems, facial and jaw-joint pains).

All of my friends and family tell me that this is something I should think twice about. The problem is, they just don't understand the following:

1) what it's like to be self-conscious about a facial abnormality (I hide it extremely well, btw!)
2) what it's like to have to go to lengths to talk and eat properly
3) that the medical technology today is very good and the surgery is fairly straightforward in the hands of a skilled surgeon

At the end of the day, it is you who lives your life, not those around you.

Bullfighter

#6 Post by Bullfighter »

Rosie0318 wrote:... I know that in the end my smile and profile will look a million times better - it's just that I'm a bit scared of the swelling, the pain, the appearance, the eating, etc. From your experiences, how long would you guys say it took for the swelling to come down? I know i'm stressing this a bit much, but since I work full time, the more time off from work means the less money i'll receive :-/ ...
In your post you say you're having your chin moved back -- I assume you mean that you're having your lower jaw operated on and not just a chin reduction. About the measurement: 4 cm is massive. I assume you mean 4 mm? :shock:

In terms of stuff NOT to be scared of:

Swelling: You will be very puffy for a few days to a week -- your lip may look like a balloon for a day or two. I had a compression bandage on my face for the first couple of days (in hospital) to control the swelling. It worked, but I had big bruising around my neck as a side effect. It is hard to drink properly, and you'll have to "sleep" with your head elevated.

Pain: I experienced basically no pain. I had IV painkillers at the hospital, and when I was released two days after I had my prescriptions filled and ended up not using any of the pain meds.

Appearance: A day to a week after, you will look bad. A few weeks after, the only noticeable sign was some remaining bruising around my neck. The swelling was down enough that onlookers didn't really notice, although I could tell I was still puffy. Longer term, the results are going to depend on your surgeon, but I don't think a 4 mm move by itself is going to be a night-and-day difference -- you will still look like you.

Eating: I'm the least capable person on this board in terms of doing anything correctly in a kitchen, or even finding the kitchen. But, using a blender, and stocking up on stuff like yogurt, apple juice, soups, ice cream, protein powder, Ensure, etc. I was able to get through it and it sounds worse than it is. And I did it solo -- I live alone, family is across the country, etc.

Stuff that I found more annoying than I expected:

1. Mouth opening -- I could only open "one finger" width a week after surgery. Gradually that has come back, but it is scary at first.
2. Oral hygiene -- A child size toothbrush and Water Pik really helped. My mouth felt disgusting for the first few days when you're not supposed to touch anything.
3. Numbness -- I'm 3 1/2 months post op and still recovering feeling in my chin and lower lip. Obviously numbness isn't painful, by definition, but it's bizarre. My chin felt like a lump of plastic the first month. It's mildly disturbing, especially for those of us who shave our chins every day.

But, now all of my molars actually meet (instead of just the back four) and my profile is better. Even with braces, I'm chewing better than before. I wouldn't have done the surgery to correct a minor cosmetic issue, but if you're planning to live a long life you're going to need a proper bite if you want to have teeth in the distant future.