Is this weird, or standard?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

angelstrings

Is this weird, or standard?

#1 Post by angelstrings »

Hello--I wanted to run this past you guys and see if anyone but me finds this strange. There is a doctor I am interested in having a consult with. Doctor is supposedly very good. The cost of a 3 hour long consult is $550. The website is odd too, in that it only advertises classes offered by the physician so it kind of looks like it isn't meant 'for' patients. Any input? Thanks so much!

annafaith

Re: Is this weird, or standard?

#2 Post by annafaith »

3 hours seems like a very long time to have a consult. What are they proposing to do to you?
Initial consults at my orthos clinic cost £120, (about $200), but I'm in the UK.
My first consult only lasted about 45 minutes, in which time they took x-rays and photos and landed the surgery bomb on me :shock:

angelstrings

#3 Post by angelstrings »

Hi annafaith--I 'think' I need a sliding genioplasty, but who knows what other work they may find needs to be done. When I was young I wore head gear and braces. While my bite feels fine, I still have some popping and clicking in the jaw when I eat hard foods, so I know that something is off. While this doesn't bother me and I'd never do anything to fix it, it may play into my appearance as well on some level, and so sliding genioplasty may not be all I need.

The doc is in California, and I know things tend to be a lot more costly there so maybe this is normal, I just don't know. What do you think about the whole website thing?

ReoSity

#4 Post by ReoSity »

I'm assuming you're referring to Arnett and Gunson. They are one of the best in the country and are known as the "rock stars" of this type of surgery. Yes the initial consult is very expensive but the appointment is very thorough and informative. You probably won't experience another one like it.

I had a consult with Gunson and he'll be doing my surgery next year. A number of other people on this board have seen them too and I'm sure almost all would agree that the consult was well worth the price.

angelstrings

#5 Post by angelstrings »

Thanks Reosity. That's who I'm talking about. I don't want to waste time, money, effort, and emotion going to all the wrong people and possibly wind up wounded.

Do you know approximately how much they charge for sliding genioplasty, even a ballpark figure? Thank you.

Okra

#6 Post by Okra »

Thanks Reosity. That's who I'm talking about. I don't want to waste time, money, effort, and emotion going to all the wrong people and possibly wind up wounded.
angelstrings, I feel the same way! I am planning on going to see Dr. Gunson for a consult in September. I'm already counting down the days. I really hope they can help me!

I agree the website doesn't really seem to be geared toward patients. I called the number listed on the site though and it worked to set up a consult.

Good luck!
K

Bullfighter

#7 Post by Bullfighter »

I'd have to revisit the bills file ( :jump: ), but I know I paid at least $300-$400 for the initial consultation with x-rays, photos, etc.

angelstrings

#8 Post by angelstrings »

Okra- You and I should've gone together! Where I work they make the schedules out nearly 2 months in advance, so I have to push my visit out. PLEASE keep me posted on how it goes. I'm living vicariously through you this time...

Bullfighter--ROL on your little clapping hands regarding the bill file. Were it not for your post I may as well cry!!

Thanks friends!

ReoSity

#9 Post by ReoSity »

Having seen your pics now, I'm not entirely sure that you must have Gunson/Arnett do your surgery. Generally they deal with difficult cases, either functional and/or aesthetic. If your bite is good, your facial features are balanced and you don't have TMJ disorder then correcting a small chin can be corrected relatively easily.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go to the best if you can afford it but any skilled and experienced oral surgeon can perform a sliding genioplasty and the price most likely won't be as high Gunson/Arnett.