Long Face Syndrome- treatment in the UK?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

purplefrankie

Long Face Syndrome- treatment in the UK?

#1 Post by purplefrankie »

Hi there. I'm new here so hope I am posting this in the right place.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of treatment for Long Face Syndrome in the UK.

I believe that I have this condition but am having trouble getting my NHS dentist and GP to realise there is a problem. I have a long face and a high palate. My lips do not close (I have a 15mm gap at the highest point). My upper jaw protrudes over my lower jaw. Because of this I am a mouth breather which causes me to snore at night, gives me a sore throat when waking in the morning and has also caused gum problems. If I force my lips to close my chin dimples like a golfball.

I am extremely concerned about the effect this is having on my health. I would like to find a doctor who actually recognises this condition.

I would be extremely grateful for any help. Many thanks in advance.

windycitycassie

Re: Long Face Syndrome- treatment in the UK?

#2 Post by windycitycassie »

Frankie,

I honestly don't know if long face syndrome is treated on the NHS (as a named condition). However, it does sound like you have real physiological problem that cause breathing problems, etc. Also, an overbite although the severity we can't tell by your post.

You should ask your NHS dentist to refer you to a maxillofacial surgeon for an opinion. They are the ones truly qualified to comment on this.

purplefrankie

#3 Post by purplefrankie »

Thanks so much, both of you. Much appreciated.

Think I will go and see my dentist again and maybe be a bit more assertive about getting a referral. Thing is, I don't have much confidence in him as a dentist. Might be time to find a new one!

Does anyone know if you can get a referral from a private dentist for the NHS? I've always assumed that it had to be from an NHS dentist but could be wrong.

Thanks again!

windycitycassie

#4 Post by windycitycassie »

purplefrankie wrote:Thanks so much, both of you. Much appreciated.

Think I will go and see my dentist again and maybe be a bit more assertive about getting a referral. Thing is, I don't have much confidence in him as a dentist. Might be time to find a new one!

Does anyone know if you can get a referral from a private dentist for the NHS? I've always assumed that it had to be from an NHS dentist but could be wrong.

Thanks again!
You're welcome. :) I have seen anecdotal evidence on these forums and elsewhere from people who have gotten a referral from a private dentist or orthodontist. However, in my case I've seen a private dentist and ortho and both told me I would have to ask my NHS dentist for the referral (my GP also said this). I'll be trying this tomorrow! However, my NHS dentist is also rubbish so I am not holding my breath.

yellowhat

#5 Post by yellowhat »

Hi

I got a referral from a private orthodontist to the local NHS hospital. I went to ortho for advice and she said that yes she could straighten teeth, but it wouldn't solve my incompetent lips and gummy smile. Very quick referral ( I wonder if coming from a private practitioner helped my jump the queue)

Anyway, best £60 I've spent!