14 Days Post Op

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

subu

14 Days Post Op

#1 Post by subu »

I had surgery about 14 days ago and while I'm recovering fast per my surgeon, ortho and friends and family. I find it strange looking into the mirror and seeing someone I don't quite recognize. I don't even know if my results are better or that I achieved the most optimal results. Given yes, it's only 14 days post op but it looks like I lost most of my swelling...I wonder how much is there left to lose?

I do think my profile has improved. Still waiting on everything else to settle (soft tissue, some swelling....)

FYI - I had double jaw surgery, genioplasty and bone grafts placed on either side of my jaw to fill in the spaces where the lower jaw was advanced.

I'm not sure how to post pictures here, but here's a link to my blog (with pictures). Any feedback would be wonderful. (I still haven't mastered the art of smiling yet..so no smiling pics...YET!)

jawsurgerycamilla.wordpress (.com)

bmueller

Re: 14 Days Post Op

#2 Post by bmueller »

Just looked at your blog and you look great. What a dramatic change in your chin!

Coming from experience, I didn't seriously look at my face for months (not sure I even seriously look at my face now!).

There are still a lot of changes even though you think your swelling is almost gone. I look at the pictures from even 6 weeks post op and I think my lips and cheeks look so different now. It will also help once you gain back the weight you lost by being on a liquid diet.

Let it all settle and then seriously look at the changes you've had. Keep in mind that residual swelling can be around for up to a year after surgery.

Hang in there. The worst is over. And you look great!

subu

#3 Post by subu »

Thank you for your kind words. Its been an emotional journey. I probably should get some sun and eat a bit more. :D

I appreciate a fresh pair of eyes! It definitely helps keep me grounded!

harrisoa

#4 Post by harrisoa »

Your profile looks great!

Please continue to share your experiences as you heal.

All the best

subu

#5 Post by subu »

Aww, thank you :) There's definitely an improvement there.

I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow. I'm excited to hear what he says and hope that I'm making good progress.

subu

#6 Post by subu »

So, I learned from my surgeon that it takes 6 months to have a natural smile again. I didn't know this. Is this the typical timeline for most people? Is a shorter timeline possible?

He says it's because a muscle is cut when upper jaw surgery is performed and it takes a while to heal. It's the muscle that controls the upper lip when you smile. So right now, I can only control the outer corners, giving a "wide" and flat smile. An awesome smile is something I'm looking forward to mastering! :)