August 2013 Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

RS732

August 2013 Buddies

#1 Post by RS732 »

I have lower jaw surgery (possibly double) along with genio scheduled for the 19th of August.

So excited to finally join the "buddies list" LOL.

This forum has been great motivation and support. Thanks everyone!

RS732

Re: August 2013 Buddies

#2 Post by RS732 »

Anyone else having surgery this month? Please post!

Tctjh0

#3 Post by Tctjh0 »

Good luck! I'm set for the 28th. Upper and possibly a genioplasty.

puglover

#4 Post by puglover »

I am scheduled for the 21st for double jaw surgery with Dr. Gunson in SB. So excited/nervous and very happy to have buddies now too!

Tctjh0

#5 Post by Tctjh0 »

Hope all goes well Pug, sounds like you're in good hands! It's hard to imagine the changes everyone will go through this month. It is going to be a big change for me as I did not require braces for the surgery so I am going to go under and wake up with banded archbars and a new upper jaw. It's not going to be a fun few weeks, but hopefully it's worth it in the end.

puglover

#6 Post by puglover »

I've never heard of anyone not having braces first, that is crazy.

boodles8

#7 Post by boodles8 »

I get to add myself here! I'm scheduled for Aug 28. I found out I may be going for only the lower jaw. The surgeon will make up his mind when I see him the week before.

Changes

#8 Post by Changes »

Hi everyone. Good luck with your upcoming surgeries!

Im getting lower jaw done August 23rd

Tctjh0 am getting surgery first, then braces same as you! ... random having 2 of us in the one thread :)

Getting scared now as the date approaches!!

SueHeck

#9 Post by SueHeck »

I am having surgery August 15! One week! :shock: I have an open bite that resulted in neck and shoulder pain for over 20 years. I didn't think it was related to my jaw until I got braces and the pain was reduced drastically. I also require the surgery to keep my back molars. I am getting both the upper jaw (Surgical Phase Le Fort I) and lower jaw corrected (Bilateral Sagital Splitting of Mandible for Advancement).

Hello and good luck to you August 2013 buddies!

Lanifle

#10 Post by Lanifle »

Good luck guys - I wish I was in August but I have to wait until 9/10 for double jaw surgery with a possible genioplasty. I won't know if I will be having the genio until after my CT scan and models.

RS732

#11 Post by RS732 »

[quote="SueHeck"]I am having surgery August 15! One week! :shock: I have an open bite that resulted in neck and shoulder pain for over 20 years. I didn't think it was related to my jaw until I got braces and the pain was reduced drastically. I also require the surgery to keep my back molars. I am getting both the upper jaw (Surgical Phase Le Fort I) and lower jaw corrected (Bilateral Sagital Splitting of Mandible for Advancement).

Hello and good luck to you August 2013 buddies![/quote]

Keep us posted with your progress. Wish you a speedy recovery.

I go in on Monday. 8)

puglover

#12 Post by puglover »

Hey SueHeck! How did it go?

SueHeck

#13 Post by SueHeck »

It went very well. My surgery was at 1:30 and I was home by noon the next day. I am having a hard time swallowing now but it is important so I stand by the sink for a few minutes and drink a little water that mostly falls out into the sink but it's better than nothing. My husband bought sippy cups and they have been a huge help because I can't find my mouth opening. My lips are huge!!!

My doctor gave me all kinds of great supplies, like a dry erase board and marker, a sling to put ice in and around my head, a baby toothbrush and more. He is fantastic. Some of the stuff was for the hospital but I had breathing problems after the surgery so I stayed longer in recovery. I have asthma. My bed was given away though so I stayed the whole night in recovery and was not allowed to have my things but I really didn't need anything they didn't have.

Thanks for asking. I'll keep you updated and I even plan to make a progression video :0)

Changes

#14 Post by Changes »

Congrats SueHeck hope your recovery continues successfully!

Good luck to everyone who's is coming up or just had it. Hoping to hear all your stories when you are up to it!

6 days to go for me. Purchased sippy cup and a neck pillow so i can sleep sitting up for the first wee while. Saying goodbye to all my fave foods by eating loads of big meals out... curry last night, 3 course meal today ... going out in style :twisted:

puglover

#15 Post by puglover »

glad everything went well Sue and I can't wait to see your video :)

@Changes my surgery is Wednesday and I am also eating all my favs, we are calling it Foodapalooza lol. I bought a sippy cup but you have to really suck on it to get anything out, like a nipple. I feel like I should get those ones with the harder tip.