Going to have surgery for underbite, braces question.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rowo

Going to have surgery for underbite, braces question.

#1 Post by rowo »

I've been in braces for around 7 months now (pre-surgery), and I've noticed that my upper teeth are slanted inwards (ie. not at a 90 degree angle) and my bottom teeth are slanting outwards. It's evident from the front view but much moreso from the side view. Is this normal? And if so, will my teeth be like that forever, even post surgery?

sunnyD

Re: Going to have surgery for underbite, braces question.

#2 Post by sunnyD »

Rows you should ask your orthodontist. That being said pre-ortho work usually enhances the underbite in preparation for jaw surgery. In my case my underbite was enhanced and the I had jaw surgery.

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

If you aren't in the final square wire yet, I wouldn't worry about the vertical angle at all; that's the job of the square wires to set.

But it is safe to assume that whatever angle your teeth are at when released to surgery is the angle they'll be at post-surgery, as the surgery only corrects their position, not rotation on any axis.

Tingrinteacher

#4 Post by Tingrinteacher »

I will hopefully be having surgery later this month, and my teeth are in exactly the same position as yours. When I queried this I was told that they pushed the bottom ones forward and top ones back to ensure that my jaw measurements (and movements) would be exactly right during surgery. If they were upright, you would end up with an edge to edge bite or otherwise 'off' bite.

The post surgical braces will do the minor movements back to 'upright' afterwards. Good luck!

Gem xx

rowo

#5 Post by rowo »

I'd forgotten that a while ago my ortho had mentioned that my lower teeth were intentionally being shifted to a more convex and slanted position, to prepare my bite for surgery.
So it's probably in line with your case, Gem.

Thanks for the replies guys. Will clarify with my ortho when I see him next.