Insurance Coverage

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cutepathogen

Insurance Coverage

#1 Post by cutepathogen »

First off, sorry if this thread seems ignorant or stupid, but knowledge starts somewhere.

I'm not from the US and I visit the US quite a lot. Never had I set a foot in the US before getting a $2/day insurance policy to cover any emergencies.

I'm almost ready to do my double-jaw surgery, and will most likely do it in the US. I was wondering if I can get it covered by any insurance policy. I don't mind paying a higher premium and participate in a co-pay arrangement, but I'd love to have the bulk of the cost taken care of by a wall street money sucking machine. How possible is this idea?

I assume that, due to my citizenship status, I don't qualify for any of the ACA benefits (pre-existing condition coverage, ...etc). Not sure how that will affect my goal of having my surgery (either entirely or partially) covered.

For what it's worth I don't have a particular surgeon in mind. So far I've seen Dr. Stuart Super in Manhattan, but I'm still looking for better surgeon options.

Nozzelnut

Re: Insurance Coverage

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

There's been a couple folks that have had their surgeries in Costa Rica. They paid out of pocket and saved decent amount of money. They had good results.

I doubt you'd qualify for ACA insurance. I'm sure there's something about being a resident in their coverage somewhere. You can try to check the .gov website for more info.

BTW those money grubbing insurance companies have premiums paid by folks like me that work pretty hard for what I have. So I take offence when you say you want to pull one over on them. That would only make my rates go up.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

cutepathogen

#3 Post by cutepathogen »

[quote="Nozzelnut"]
BTW those money grubbing insurance companies have premiums paid by folks like me that work pretty hard for what I have. So I take offence when you say you want to pull one over on them. That would only make my rates go up.[/quote]

Thanks for the information. Sorry if you felt offended by my reference to the insurance companies. I've been paying my insurance premiums since I was a student in the US 10 years ago, and I only used it once for a suspected DVT case. The ER visit cost ~$2000 and that was it. So to your point, I've been paying premiums without having to have used the policy to cover any medical costs. So I thought it's about time I get some of the advantages of the insurance system if that's possible.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

If you can't get an ACA policy, you are unlikely to find an individual policy that will cover the surgery.