An Everything Case

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HiKitty

An Everything Case

#1 Post by HiKitty »

Hi all,
I am new to the whole dental thing, as i grew up without insurance. I just got married in November and have insurance. My first trip to the dentist was in January for a cleaning and I had no cavities and no decay! Bad news was, I need braces, which I was thrilled as I've always wanted them. After meeting with the ortho and surgeon, they were both very interested and actually felt sorry for me!
I have a malocclusion, my upper jaw is at a V shape and I am missing bone in between my two frontal teeth. My lower jaw is recessed with some crowding. My airway is 2/3 restricted, I have a low hyoid, and I have sleep apnea with an O2 dip to 80-85%. The care plan consists of SARPE, braces for 25 months, then bringing the upper and lower jaw forward in a second surgery along with a chin procedure. Braces for another 6 months or so.
Anyone else with a complicated case? I felt weird when the ortho said "I don't envy what you're about to go through."

cdmoses6

Re: An Everything Case

#2 Post by cdmoses6 »

Wow! It sounds like you are about to be going through a lot! That's great though that your ortho and surgeon seem enthusiastic to help you despite the challenge. I don't have a complicated case, but just wanted to stop by and give you some encouragement! Though things may be looking rough, it sounds like it will really be worth it for you in the end given your medical troubles you're having. Oh! I do remember another user elephantmaster123 who sounds to have quite the difficult/complicated case. He has a post under Board index‹Braces Treatment Discussions‹Metal Mouth Forum titled "UPDATE!!" that you might wanna go check out :) Best wishes to you!
Braces on March 6th, 2015
Metal Empower self-ligating brackets, upper and lower
Class II, Division II overbite with crowding
Upper 2nd premolars extracted May 1st, 2015
First Powerchain and Class II Manatee Elastics June 15th, 2015
TADs placed July 27th, 2015
Box Manatee Elastics April 1st, 2016
Teeth shaping May 4th, 2016

My Progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48229

snapdresser

#3 Post by snapdresser »

Besides the bone loss, your case sounds very similar to a lot of people's on this forum. I got my surgery for sleep apnea, a lot of people had SARPE+Bimax, you're a combination of both! I think you're in good company here. I would caution you not to get too attached to the idea of having your braces off at 6 months post-op, as the norm seems to be significantly longer than that. Good luck and keep us posted as you progress through your journey!
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

HiKitty

#4 Post by HiKitty »

Just got back from the ortho for impressions to make the expander. Looks like I'll be expanding 10mm/40 turns when I get the surgery in August. I've already got a space in between my front teeth, so this should be fun