orthognathic surgery in europe, preferably the netherlands

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

xmrgt

orthognathic surgery in europe, preferably the netherlands

#1 Post by xmrgt »

I was ten when i had 4 premolars extracted, 2 down and 2 up. I've worn braces after that for four years, as my orthodontist said I would have a massive overbite if we didn't fix it right away. 18 years later, I'm having TMJ problems, problems with breathing, problems with sleeping, grinding my teeth, and other symptoms. I've been looking at photo's from my childhood and can only notice how my face is very flat now in comparison to the face I had as a kid.

I've been to the dentist, the physiotherapist, and the logopedist for all sorts of problems, related to tinnitus, breathing, headaches, vocal cords dysfunction, and grinding my teeth. I don't know if I have sleep apnea, but i do score on some of the symptoms like sleepiness during driving, waking up short of breath, and having been told that i drewl while i sleep. For years I have been trying to figure out why I had all these problems, to come to the conclusion that this must be it, especially since i have discovered that when i put my underjaw in an underbite my breathing improves drastically. I've been reading so many other stories like mine here on archwired, that i am convinced that my upper jaw has been placed too far back, when i was too young, seen as your underjaw only starts growing when you hit puberty.

My dentist did not take me seriously. He told me that probably the jaw surgeon would not see anything either. My face looks normal enough, and he checked my bite and the bite was good. I am scared that i will be turned away without proper investigation. I am set on having orthognathic surgery, as i feel robbed of my (mental) health and my face. I have been looking online and i think there are options to get orthognathic surgery in europe without a doctor's approval, but i'm not sure.

Does anyone have a similar story and wants to share what they have been doing, what treatments might help, doctors that take you seriously or places where you can get orthognathic surgery in europe, preferably the netherlands, without insurance? I know this is not the right way to think about it, but i am set on having orthognathic surgery: even if i get a sleeping bit for sleep apnea (which i would already love to have), i would still have problems breathing during the day. How do i get the surgery, if my doctor turns me down?