So excited to meet another BSSO person!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Brandyleigh35

So excited to meet another BSSO person!

#1 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I went to a counselor's meeting yesterday (I work as an elementary school counselor) and one of the other counselors is going in for a BSSO on her lower jaw (just like me) in June. The best part is that we are both seeing the same surgeon.

Her case is similar to mine, but she has TMJ issues as opposed to my sleep apnea stuff. She had a small palate and they wanted to do the SARPE procedure. She wasn't comfortable with it so they used the invisalign to move her teeth out and get the space. Now she will be having the surgery in June. I have to say that her teeth look awful. Like they are rotated out, and it just looks bad! I will be interested to see how her surgery goes, since our doctors are the same. She has said she will keep me posted. Her surgery date is for June, and mine isn't until May 2007.

What is really cool, is that I'm doing the SARPE, and full braces, then the surgery. I will be interested to see whose smile comes out looking better. After seeing what they have done to her with invisalign and no palate expansion, I'm so so so glad I'm going the SARPE and braces route now. I'm even more convinced that it will be worth it now and my smile will be beautiful when its all done.

Brandy

Ga_N8V

#2 Post by Ga_N8V »

I'm with ya Brandy ... doing full braces, LeFort I (3 pieces) for the upper jaw, BSSO for the lower jaw, and genio for the chin. I've been in the braces for about 14 months now and the Ortho is estimating another 3 1/2 months before the teeth will be in final position so the surgery can take place.

The surgeon said I'd either end up looking like Brad Pitt or Rodney Dangerfield ... personally, I'm hoping for Rodney because, let's face it, looking like Brad Pitt would just be too much pressure!

gstephen

Re: So excited to meet another BSSO person!

#3 Post by gstephen »

This is good to hear Brandy. Makes me feel a little more secure in my decision as well. ...What is a little surprising though is that just because someone "isn't comfortable" with a procedure that the doctors are still willing to try something else which is likely to give a poor result. Seems a little unethical, would you agree? But then also, maybe doing nothing would be even worse, but it just doesn't sound right not to do the job right.

Also, I recently found out that my half-sister, who I rarely see since she lives far from me, is having the same surgery as me, that is, the upper and lower. Hers will be in the early summer...and mine more than a year or so afterwards. I can't wait to see her results since we do look alike.

Graham
SARPE March 23, 2006.
Expansion done April 20, 2006.
Bottom braces: June 5, 2006.
http://smilemakeover.blogspot.com

Brandyleigh35

#4 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Ga_N8V Yes I imagine looking like Brad Pitt could be a little too much pressure! LOL.... Although many men would like to be in his shoes :)

Graham,
Yes I have to agree with you. It is funny though....when I went to my ortho, he had originally said nothing about a SARPE or palate expansion. He did say that my upper palate was small, but he was planning to try and grind my teeth down and make it all work. I went to my oral surgeon for my Jaw surgery consult and told him what I was doing (full ortho then the jaw surgery) He was the one who said I needed a SARPE. I then went in to my ortho with my son one morning and started asking him questions about how the SARPE would work blah blah blah. Well he said, that he hadn't recommended a SARPE and wanted to talk with my OS about it some more. Then he called me and said after consulting with my os that he agreed with him, that this would be the best way to go and he would like to go this route, since I was willing.
So basically if my os and not recommended it, my ortho would've done something else. It does seem a bit odd to me but I think sometimes it has to do with the age factor. I think that perhaps they think that people who are older will not want to go through something so major or invasive. So in order to make it as comfortable and as unobtrusive as possible they compromise the results. It's like offering a plan A, and then a Plan B. A is preferred but plan B may achieve similar results with less discomfort. Many people would rather have compromised results if it means less pain, especially when they are older (or so I think anyway)

Personally I want to cure my sleep apnea which is why I'm doing all of this, but if I can have a Julia Roberts smile afterwards then hey, why not go for the whole enchilada?

Brandy