32yr old Kiwi - Braces just on - surgery in a year

Did you start your own braces diary at another website or blog? Tell everyone about it here, and make a link to its web address.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wiredkitty

32yr old Kiwi - Braces just on - surgery in a year

#1 Post by wiredkitty »

Hi all,

I'm a 32 yrd Kiwi who just got braces on yesterday. Feels SO much worse than I ever thought it would. Feels like I have a whole cutlery set in my mouth. Can't imagine how I will get used to it and put up with it for 2 years! I have ceramics on top centre six and metal on the rest and the botton teeth. I can't believe they are all so rough - surely they could have invented smooter brackets by now.

My plan is to have surgery half way through to extend my lower jaw forward which they do by cutting it inside the mouth and putting in titanium plates. I'm dreading that part of it and only wanted the braces but apparently its all or nothing.

My husband is being very supportive which is great cause I couldn't have done this on my own!

wiredkitty

#2 Post by wiredkitty »

Thanks Meryaten! It really does help to hear from people that have been through the same thing. Yes the surgery sounds the same. They also said they could move my upper jaw upwards so I wouldn't show so much teeth/gums - I show a bit more than the 'average' apparently but its not that bad and doesn't bother me so I said no to that part.

I know I will look aesthetically better after the surgery but I think part of my resistance was due to the fact that my face shape (i.e weak jaw line) is a family trait and I am the youngest in my generation and I look the most like my grandmother which I'm proud of. Been a bit worried that I won't like my new jaw because of that. But I'm adjusting to the idea - altough I think like you I did orginially hope that once the braces were on, I could still refuse the surgery and they would be forced to make it work.

Thanks for your support and all the best for the next stage in getting your perfect smile.

cmm1280

#3 Post by cmm1280 »

Hi Wiredkitty! It looks like there are a few of us going through the exact same thing! I however, am still waiting for the braces to go on (Oct 21st). I visited the ortho to find out about straightening my teeth and found that the problem was much worse than I had expected. I will have to be in braces about 2 years (no surprise), but I will also need to have surgery on both my upper and lower jaw. I have to have my upper pallate widened and my lower jaw extended. I'm not looking forward to that part of it, but I know in the end it will all be worth it. I have always had the underdeveloped jaw. I never realized that I would have to have surgery to fix it. I'm excited to see how my profile will change.

I have a supportive husband too. I know with that - we can make it through!

Good luck!! :D

Carla