Just got aligners - need coffee!

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Pinkie

Just got aligners - need coffee!

#1 Post by Pinkie »

Hi folks

I just got my aligners and am about to eat but i'd love a coffee after eating! Can i have coffee with my aligners in or is that very naughty?
Pinkie

waiting2smile

#2 Post by waiting2smile »

Hi Pinkie,

Yes drinking coffee with your aligners in is naughty. I was told to have nothing hot to drink while wearing them because the heat can warp the aligners. Also the coffee can stain your aligners as well as your teeth, even more so then normal because it has a place to "sit" while your aligners are in. I'd say your best bet is to have your coffee after you eat, then brush, floss ect and put your aligners back in. Just try to be conscious of the time you have them out, maybe try to eat a bit faster or drink a bit faster, I have taught myself to gulp down my morning coffee in record time since having Invisalign.

Also try not to get too freaked out by all the negative posts. I myself have a very difficult case and I'm guessing most would be surprised that I'm even try Invisalign at all but so far so good and I'm staying postive ( it can be hard at time ). Everyones teeth are diffrent so what may not work for some may be just fine for others, at this point all we can do wait and see. :lol:

diehard

#3 Post by diehard »

you certainly view food and drink in a different way i allow no more than 1/2 hour for eating main meals and have a beer but when they are in i only drink water you will be amazed how quickly u grow to like water its like the brushing ect you just get used to it. :D

buttercup

#4 Post by buttercup »

ya i only drink water when my aligners are in or i have a sugar free mint which the lady at my dentists office said is ok to do. i think it's ok to have them out for more than 30 mins at a time though. sometimes i have them out for an hour during meals. there were a efw times where i had them out for 2 hours but that was only during the second week they were in. typically in the first week i try to keep them on as long as possible. and sometimes only have one meal a day. it depends.. anyway, hope all goes wellll

lesley

#5 Post by lesley »

I think it really depends on age and how your teeth take to the aligners - I am 22 and my teeth have been moving pretty fast with every new aligner. I definitely leave mine out for more than 1/2 an hour! Sometimes 2 hours meals, events, etc - I am now on 21/24 and no problems at all so it all depends

Pinkie

#6 Post by Pinkie »

Thanks guys!

You all seem to know a lot more than me - my orthodontist is nice but not exactly a people person! He did say it was ok to go to the pub and have some booze though. He said it's best to stick to whie wine or vodka and 7up to avoid staining.. I suppose you could always nip to the loos every now and then and give your mouth & trays a rinse or brush.. I'm not going to find it easy sticking to water!

The coffee thing is not good news :-(* ! I've heard some people saying they wait until it's cool and then drink it with a straw!

My tongue is quite raw from the bottom tray rubbing on it - any suggestions? Is gel for braces ok? And what about filing the trays?

Thanks guys - you are all a big help to a newbie like me :)
Pinkie

diehard

#7 Post by diehard »

i too find my orth just wants to get on to next patient so the best thing is just to chat on this site as for the sore mouth you being a lass an all you could use your nail file to rub rough edges :lol:

happyhelen

#8 Post by happyhelen »

haaaa haaa die hard! i never thought i would see the word lass on a usa website!
ha, you made a northern lass smile
x

diehard

#9 Post by diehard »

even though i live on lancashire/yorkshire border i don`t speak that way i just thought it would cause a bunch of people to ask what a lass is i don`t even think a southerner would understand :lol:

jzaboo

#10 Post by jzaboo »

Please! We do have TV here, you know. And guess what, if you called it a telly, we would even know what that was... ;)

yvart

just got aligners need coffee

#11 Post by yvart »

First - thanks to those who responded to my question about the facelift effect from Invisalign. It is certainly an added benefit.

I often keep my aligners out for more than 1/2 hour - esp. at dinnertime, as it is impossible to cook a meal (without tastin anything), have a drink with my husband, and eat in one-half hour. And I hate bolting my food.

I agree that with aligners in, it is best to stick to water.

Ice water, the colder the better, feels SO GOOD with the aligners in.

Even ice tea, now that it's summer and everyone is offering it, doesn't feel right with the aligners.

It certainly helps to read things on this site and realize that many other people have the same reactions to this braces thing ...

Like several other people who have responded to this message, my ortho is NOT a people person!

Maybe it is just the nature of the beast: I mean a doctor who tortures people every day by pulling and pushing their teeth this way & that ... can't be all warm and fuzzy. And the money thing is huge. My orthodontist, an attractive woman in her late 30s, wears at least 10 karats of diamonds - between her rings, earrings and necklace. I honestly think she would torture her own mother for more money.

Good luck to every one with the Invisalign! As you teeth improve, it will all be worth it! Certainly gives new meaning to the idea of suffering to be beautiful.
- Tracy