Invisalign Horror

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tomjscott

Invisalign Horror

#1 Post by tomjscott »

I just started and decided I am also finished with Invisalign after my first day of treatment. My first attempt to remove my aligners resulted in an hour long fiasco where I learned that I could in no way remove them by using my fingers. My mouth is very small and my thumbs and/or fingers do not fit inside my open mouth to give me any leverage at all. I had to resort to the plastic hooks they gave me. This became a nightmare of unbelievable proportions. It took many minutes just to get the hook in where I could actually pull on the aligner and I could only do a single side at a time. So once I got one back side off, the aligners torqued and put immense pressure on my teeth causing horrible pain while I spent 5-10 minutes desperately trying to hook the other side off. And finally, wrenching them off made it feel like I was going to rip all my teeth off.

Against my better judgment, I decided to try once more and so I reluctantly put them back in. After wearing them all night, I proceeded to try to get them off again so I could have breakfast in the morning. Not surprising at all, I could not get them out with the traditional method using my fingers and so it was back to the hooks again. This time I took only 25 minutes to do it, but not because it was any easier or less painful. Simply because I gave up sooner on trying to get them out the normal way and resorted to the pain and suffering I knew was inevitable.

After calling my orthodontist on the weekend, the assistant there tried to tell me this was "normal." I'm sorry, but I just couldn't accept this. I find it hard to believe that if this is normal, that anyone would even consider ever putting those things back in their mouth.

Can anyone else tell me if they've had a similar experience? I am ready to dump the aligners and go to metal braces.

lesley

#2 Post by lesley »

A lot of people have problems with taking the aligners off the first couple times. It is definitely weird and tricky at first.

You should try and take your index finger and push it to the farthest tooth - grip the top of the aligner with your nail and pry it off. Sometimes u might have to do both sides of the aligner (left side of mouth then right side of mouth) before it comes off.

It is tricky at first but don't give up!

tomjscott

#3 Post by tomjscott »

Sounds good in theory. However, my nails are not even close to being strong enough to pry those aligners off. I strained them to the point of breaking and still could barely budge the aligners. And I have definitely given up. After my experience and reading about all the unsuccessful treatments, bite problems, etc, I have decided to switch to traditional metal braces.

I blame myself mostly because I did not do proper research on this product before proceeding with the treatment. If I had known even 1/10th of what I know now, I would have never done it in the first place. Although one good thing has come from it. Until my horrific experience, I would never have considered traditional braces and probably would never have the opportunity to straighten my teeth. But now after a day with invisalign, the experience of dealing with traditional braces seems trivial to me in comparison.

cleveman

#4 Post by cleveman »

if you haven't already cut the aligners into tiny pieces, I would also encourage you to give it a couple days. I thought I had made a HUGE mistake for the 1st week or 2, but now I barely notice my aligners 90% of the time. And most importantly, nobody else has EVER noticed them without me bringing it up.

My experience was that the 1st set of aligners were BY FAR the hardest to get used to, the most painful, and the most difficult to get off. My theory on that is that the 1st set of aligners have to get the teeth to the "starting point" that the aligners were based on and after that you are only dealing with minor movements... who knows.

tomjscott

#5 Post by tomjscott »

It's not just the problem with getting them out. If you read some of the other posts on this site, you'll notice lots of people had unsuccessful treatments and had to get regular braces afterwards anyway. I am also aware now of the implications of having to take the aligners out for every meal and not being able to do anything when they are in (like eat, drink coffee, etc.). I guess I totally deluded myself or was led to believe it would be very different.

Did you honestly take 45 minutes to an hour to get your first set of aligners out? Did you feel completely helpless and incompetent during the attempt? Did you feel like you were going to rip out your teeth when you finally did it? Is your mouth unusually small so that you can barely get fingertips in them?

I personally know what my limitations are and what I can accept as a treatment solution. This is definitely not it!

jml

#6 Post by jml »

You will definitely feel like your front teeth are going to break off for the first few weeks maybe even first month you have them. I spent 15 min or so each time I had to take them out at first & could only do so using the tool. But it all gets better. Try taking Ibuprofen to help with the pain. I am currently on 27 out of 34. Two teeth on the bottom & two on the top aren't tracking like they should, so I prob will have to have refinement. But that's ok...I'm so happy with Invisalign so far. I drink coffee or mixed drinks with them in, just try to pop them out, swish water in my mouth & swallow & pop em back in when I'm finished.I often will go to take a bite of food & have to stop because they're still in my mouth & I didn't realize it. STICK WITH IT!!!! We're here for you!

tomjscott

#7 Post by tomjscott »

No, I am done with invisalign. I spoke with my orthodontist and we are switching my treatment plan to more traditional braces. I will have Damon style braces on top and regular metal braces on the bottom. I get them in either this Friday or Monday.

tomjscott

#8 Post by tomjscott »

You will definitely feel like your front teeth are going to break off for the first few weeks maybe even first month you have them. I spent 15 min or so each time I had to take them out at first & could only do so using the tool.
I just got my new Damon braces in this morning and you know what the worst part of the whole experience was? Getting those stupid speed bumps from invisalign filed off. Now I don't have any 25-45 minutes of torture and agony every meal. I don't have to wait a month to get over the torture of invisalign. I am a million times happier with these braces already.
But it all gets better.
It's so much better now that I don't have invisalign. I can't believe I was deluded into thinking that treatment was for me.

lesley

#9 Post by lesley »

Invisalign is not for everyone - just like regular braces. You are being so harsh! To each his own - do not suade others just b/c you had a horrible experience.

sroberts88

#10 Post by sroberts88 »

Yeah there are many people that have been really succsessful with invisalign (or in my case clearstep, the UK equivalent) I get the feeling you're being slightly melodramatic
'Did you feel completely helpless and incompetent during the attempt?'
If this is, as it seems from your post, a horrific experience in your opinion you've lead an extremely sheltered and fortunate life. I could think of worse things than struggling to get some clear aligners out which are only in for cosmetic benefit.

tomjscott

#11 Post by tomjscott »

srobert88,

If you're interpreting my use of the term horrific as horror in the form of terror or life-threatening then yes I was being melodramatic. Although any reasonable adult would understand that I didn't use the term horrific in that sense. So your comment about leading a sheltered life certainly is uncalled for.

Invisalign was a dreadful experience that I would never want to repeat and would never wish on anyone.

I have now been in traditional braces for about 9 months and extremely happy with them and the results.

sandra

#12 Post by sandra »

Wow, that sounded just like me. It took me an hour to get my lowers out the first time and I was really upset. I was using a crochet hook and everything. The next day was just as bad. Then a couple of days later it was all ok. I was really regretting it too, for the first few days, but I'm glad I stuck it out

I'm glad you are having good luck with your treatment.

diehard

#13 Post by diehard »

im a typical man but im gonna say it i guess women do have a higher pain threshold than men :lol:

TLB in Minneapolis

#14 Post by TLB in Minneapolis »

I would say the major drawbacks of invisalign are mentioned above and also that you need to take them out to eat and drink. The "full" feeling of having all that plastic in your mouth really bothered me. I ended my treatment too and will be switching to ceramic braces 5/2.

To all those who have had success with invisalign- more power to you! It's great it works for some people. I just wish I knew what I was getting in to before I took all the molds, etc. I wasted a lot of time and energy. Oh well, live and learn.

Coco212

#15 Post by Coco212 »

Invisalign was a dreadful experience that I would never want to repeat and would never wish on anyone.
You had invisalign for ONE DAY. Jeez. Way to be harsh.