Best way/tips for taking out liners?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dfremed

Best way/tips for taking out liners?

#1 Post by dfremed »

I feel like my uppers are glued to my teeth. I also have pretty sensitive gums. What are the tricks of the trade? any good methods for easy removal?

waiting2smile

#2 Post by waiting2smile »

Let me start by telling you that it really does get easier to remove your trays after you've had them for awhile. I remember the panic of thinking OMG - I'm never gonna be able to get these things off!!!! but over time you'll develop a technique that works for you and from there on it will only be slightly difficult those first couple of day with a new tray.

For the time being let me suggest what worked great for me ( and others on this board) the assistant at my Ortho's office told me this:

Take a paper ( or a section of one) and use it to grip the aligner. Start at the back molar of one side and pulling down steadily (no - your teeth won't come out with the aligners :wink: ) work your way around to the other side. This is still the way I take mine out now (Im on 29 of 55) but I don't need the paper towel and I've gotten much faster at it.

Good Luck and hope this help!

Babe

#3 Post by Babe »

i have an invisalign type retainer and the way i get it out is taking my fingers to the back of the retainer and go up to the area the where the retainer meets your gums and gently pull down. Do it with even pressure on both sided. Its the easiet way i find.

nvrsaynvr

#4 Post by nvrsaynvr »

My trays are only tough to get out the first few days. By the end of the second week (i keep the trays in for 3 weeks), Im able to take my trays off with my tounge. They just pop right off.
Paper towel or tissue (i carry tissue in my purse) is the best with me, starting with the back molars on each side. The front teeth are always the last to take off.
Good luck!!

boaster

Taking off aligners

#5 Post by boaster »

Two things that will help:

1) ALWAYS put your new aligner on just before you go to bed. The first 8-9 hours are the toughest to take it out, and if you can just sleep through that period you're better off.

2) Start from the sides and back. I pull up from the back on either side with my thumb, then hold and pull down. I've only broken one so far taking it out too quickly. They're fairly tough. Good luck!

sunyc

#6 Post by sunyc »

I use a small crochet hook (rec by my dentist) It's perfect for removal.