rubberbands

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

roxy83

rubberbands

#1 Post by roxy83 »

Hi group!! I will be getting my Invisalign trays in about 2 weeks and had a question for you. My Ortho told me that I may need to wear rubber bands at points throughout my treatment to assist with my jaw movement. Has anybody else had to do this? Is it awkward?

Thanks in advance!!

prettybutterfly

#2 Post by prettybutterfly »

Hey Roxy83!
My ortho has told me the same thing!!! I never let her finish the sentence though because I was starting to freak out saying "OOOHHH NOO NO NO NO I DON'T THINK SO!!!" But my next appointment is this coming thursday, so I will try to be mature and ask her about it without freaking out nomatter what she has to say about it. It does seem to sound to me toobut now I'm kinda interested to find out more about it. Still hope I wont need it!!!!!! I'll let you know if I find out something useful! Good luck with it!

diehard

#3 Post by diehard »

don`t forget to ask about the elastics too :lol:

roxy83

#4 Post by roxy83 »

I too was not thrilled with the thought as that was one of the reasons I opted for Invisalign. However, I will wait to hear what others have to say before running away "crying".

Diehard...I am assuming that they are called elastics as opposed to rubber bands? Thanks for the info...:-)

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

I'm almost as invisible as you folks (lingual uppers, ceramic lowers) and when the topic of elastics was broached, I baulked. I've been wearing them for the last 2 months now. They're not nearly as bad as I'd anticipated, and do they move teeth or what?

torontoscuba

elastics

#6 Post by torontoscuba »

I was surprised to find out that I would need to wear an elastic on one side when I picked up trays 7-10. The hygienist cut small slits in the trays with a nail-clipper. She took about a half-hour to get the elastic to stay on. When I went home I spent literally an hour trying to do it in front of the mirror. I was so frustrated by the end as it never did stay on. I emailed my ortho and told him that I found it impossible to do. Does anyone know the proper technique for making slits that will hold the elastic? My ortho's aide seemed very inexperienced herself and I don't know if they were cut properly in the first place...

diehard

#7 Post by diehard »

torontoscubai think ill end up in elastics at the end, what i want to knoe r the elastics that u r using supposed to tip molars of r the for something else

torontoscuba

#8 Post by torontoscuba »

No Hard to Die for,
Sorry for the late reply (Christmas festivities!)
I was told that they are to pull the lower jaw backward in order to help with the correction of my crossbite and lower chin (slight) protrudence. Truthfully, I don't really see how it will help that much as I pull my lower jaw back subconciously in order for my teeth to fit better.