Invisalign Horror

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ewok2000

#16 Post by Ewok2000 »

Did you honestly take 45 minutes to an hour to get your first set of aligners out? Did you feel completely helpless and incompetent during the attempt? Did you feel like you were going to rip out your teeth when you finally did it? Is your mouth unusually small so that you can barely get fingertips in them?
YES, YES AND YES. I remember it vividly and it was horrible. I tried to remove it in the car which of course didn't work. Then when I got home and tried to use a rag for a better grip which didn't work either. Then I tried the hook and finally it came out. The whole thing lasted at least 45 minutes.

And it was like that for the first couple days but it passed. Now a year later I'm done with my lower teeth and I'm currently waiting for my upper refinement.

Ewok2000

#17 Post by Ewok2000 »

double post.

diehard

#18 Post by diehard »

Ewok2000 glad u hung in there and gave it a real go :D

Nawners

#19 Post by Nawners »

Why does it matter that Tom had a bad experience and chose not to continue his Invisilign treatment? I didn't read anywhere in his posts that he thought nobody else should use it, it just wasn't for him. I certainly wouldn't want to spend the amount of money necessary for the treatment, just to have to fight with the aligners every day. And speaking for myself, I definitely wouldn't have the time to do that!
I thought this forum was a place for others to vent their frustrations, give their opinions or voice their triumphs. I felt it was quite harsh of some to say he was being 'melodramatic' or that he leads a sheltered life. What an extreme thing to say! With everything, there is good and bad. It's unfortunate that Tom, among others, has had the bad, but it's not fair to be so judgemental towards him for it!
Good for you, Tom, for making the decision and not giving in. I hope you're much more at ease with your traditional braces and that you have loads of progress!
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

prettybutterfly

#20 Post by prettybutterfly »

That does sound super harsh!

GOD I LOVE INVISALIGN!!!!! I HATED it the first couple of weeks to 1 months but now I'm on no 19 out of L21 U20 and I'm almost finished with my treatment! I LOVE the result and I LOVE the fact that NOONE has noticed through all this time exept 1 person at my work cause she was sitting right next to me starring at my teeth thinking I was bleaching them with some product from TV SHOP HAhahaha! I of course told her the truth!

Without invisalign I would NEVER have straightened my teeth and now I love my teeth! And I'm so happy I did it and didn't have to go through all the pain and embarresment of looking like a teenager with a mouth full of metal! (nothing agains you brave people who DO go through that! I would just never have had that kind of confidence or courage!)

jake

#21 Post by jake »

I am writing this only for people who may read these posts and be scared off from invisilign. I had lingual braces for a while and am now finishing with invisilign. Yes, it hurt to take them out at first. The I-Braces hurt at the beginning and for a period after every adjustment. I'm sure regular braces are a little painful too. Who ever said that a process where your teeth are physically moved to a different location in your mouth would be an entirely pleasant experience?

I find invisilign to be a walk in the park considered to the I-braces. If invisilign can fix your problem, I would not hesitate to try it. You will be sore at first, but that is to be expected with any orthodonic treatment.

I won't go so far as to say whoever created this post is melodramatic. I am sure the first day was painful. But having a little personal experience and from talking to a lot of people I can tell you his experience seems far from the nirm.

diehard

#22 Post by diehard »

you tell em jake :lol:

Steve88

#23 Post by Steve88 »

I had the same problem with my aligners at first. It took forever to get the top one out because I had horizontal attachments. It was so hard to get them out that my dentist had to remove one of the attachments and now they come out pretty easily (under 30 seconds compared to 10 minutes of pulling on them before). The tooth that lost the attachment won't move as much now, but it's getting covered by a veneer anyway once the aligners are done so my dentist isn't worried about it.

sroberts88

#24 Post by sroberts88 »

I took horrific to mean what it means "grossly offensive to decency or morality; causing horror; "subjected to outrageous cruelty"; "a hideous pattern of injustice"; "horrific conditions in the mining industry" [syn: hideous]"
Melodramitic means: exaggerated and emotional or sentimental; sensational or sensationalized; overdramatic.

So yes I stand by my description of your post as being melodramatic. I apologise if this causes offense. Perhaps in the US you use the English language differently to us in England. I tend to take language literally unless, of course, it is an idiom, euphamism etc.

I'm pleased your treatment is going well for you.

boaster

The best trick

#25 Post by boaster »

The best trick I used for removing them was to ALWAYS put my new aligners in at 7 p.m. and leave them in at least 12 hours. They are the tightest for the first 8-10 hours, then get a bit easier to remove.

tomjscott

#26 Post by tomjscott »

sroberts88 wrote:I took horrific to mean what it means "grossly offensive to decency or morality; causing horror; "subjected to outrageous cruelty"; "a hideous pattern of injustice"; "horrific conditions in the mining industry" [syn: hideous]"
Melodramitic means: exaggerated and emotional or sentimental; sensational or sensationalized; overdramatic.

So yes I stand by my description of your post as being melodramatic. I apologise if this causes offense. Perhaps in the US you use the English language differently to us in England. I tend to take language literally unless, of course, it is an idiom, euphamism etc.

I'm pleased your treatment is going well for you.
I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd add a few more comments. Based on your definition of horrific, or at least part of it, I still stick by my statement that it was horrific and not melodramatic. My experience was in no way sensationalized or overdramatic.

And for those of you that say that your experience was also horrible for a month or so, all I can say is that my experience with traditional braces was never at any time like that. In fact, the worst part of my entire treatment is when they stretch my cheeks out with those plastic grips and take pictures of my progress. Or when they shoved the plastic thing in to apply the initial brackets. Adjustments do cause tender teeth for a week or so, but nothing dramatic or unbearable.

I can't tell you enough how I can look back at that one day and thank God that I never have to worry about taking those things out or putting them back in EVER. It's so nice to just eat, drink, and brush my teeth like a normal person day in and day out. I just can't imagine why I ever thought Invisalign was a good solution.

HeyTeach

#27 Post by HeyTeach »

I have invisalign uppers and metal brackets lower. Of the two I have prefered the metal. I am on my last tray of the uppers (only 6) and if I need refinements (and it is looking as if I will) they will be done with traditional brackets not Invisalign. I'm tired of the hassle. I'll let ya know whats' up Feb 6.

diehard

#28 Post by diehard »

2 :D customers

D

#29 Post by D »

I've never had trouble putting in or removing my aligners, ever. Not on the first day I started or on the first day of any of the subsequent aligners. Tight would be the best way to describe the first day or two of every aligner, but never so tight that I was in pain or frustrated or couldn't pop them out easily with just one hand.

I guess it probably depends everybodys individual teeth but i'd say your case is the exception rather than the norm.

SayCheez

#30 Post by SayCheez »

I remember when I first got my attachments it took FOREVER to take them out! I was so angry and fed up but the next day it became easier by the next week it was a piece of cake!

Invisalign is not for everyone. Being 25 years old, going on interviews, meeting clients - I personally would feel uncomfortable having metal braces in my mouth. I think they are distracting.

I love love love love love love love invisalign! :D