Four weeks to end of active treatment -- retention to follow

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maclock

Four weeks to end of active treatment -- retention to follow

#1 Post by Maclock »

If one were to have one of one's aligners damaged beyond use some five months into a six-month programme of active treatment (i.e., prior to starting retention), and one were simply to switch into the next set of aligners two days early (at 250 hours instead of the expected 300 hours), should all else be well provided one has otherwise been reasonably diligent about wearing one's aligners? Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:

Wobblydeb

#2 Post by Wobblydeb »

The dog got them, didn't it? :D

Sorry, I cannot answer your question (its another couple of weeks until I get my aligners) but couldn't resist replying!

Maclock

#3 Post by Maclock »

Nope. Aligner became stuck on an attachment and when trying to remove it, it ripped apart. (Thought it was merely a wee bit of difficulty popping off the attachment.)

This is the third lower aligner that has developed a tear. (Three attachments on the lower arch.) The first two may have been due to an unrefined removal technique, but not this one. Torn aligners are a pain in the behind. :wink:

Lilypad

#4 Post by Lilypad »

I highly doubt switching ONE aligner two days early would cause any harm, but I might wear this one a couple days longer if I was you. :idea:

Iwantniceteeth

#5 Post by Iwantniceteeth »

My ortho switched me to 11 days per tray as Invisalign recommend 220 hours per aligner. So it cut my treatment time by 2.5 months! So 1 or 2 days early won't hurt and my teeth turned out just fine! I'm wearing my last aligner 24/24 awaiting my refinement trays. Man it's taking a long time! This aligner is yucky even with cleaning!

jennicakes

#6 Post by jennicakes »

it definitely won't matter. i switched several of my aligners a day (sometimes day and a half) early because I became impatient and wanted to see some movement again with the next aligner.

(They say movement could still be ocurring even if u don't feel it. I def. think movement stops after the first few days and it would probably be fine to wear the aligner only 12 or 13 days, but the ortho knows if they say wear them for 14 days, we'll change them at day 13, and if he says wear for 13 days, we'll change them at day 12, or even day 11, because we all like to cheat sometimes. They always tell you more than you need just to be safe.)

so far my treatment is right on target with what the ortho predicted.

as far as tearing aligners, the one i have in right now is torn almost completely in half, but i unfortunately must wear it until i get my retainers : (

i think they tend to tear more when attachments are involved because of the way the aligner bends when you are pulling it out.

John37

#7 Post by John37 »

And get a plastic hook to help remove them if you are having that hard a time taking them out without breaking them. I especially like using the hook the first few days of a new set of aligners. After that I can use my fingers. I have several attachment, and the hook is really good at popping the aligner off over them.

Advocate

Re: Four weeks to end of active treatment -- retention to fo

#8 Post by Advocate »

Congratulations on being almost finished with your treatment. I'm only about 2 months into a 10-month treatment program. So I'm jealous! :evil: