Invisalign and Weight Loss

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DeeMinou

Invisalign and Weight Loss

#1 Post by DeeMinou »

Hello all, I'm new here and have had my Invisalign exactly a week. :) With all the brushing and flossing necessary after eating, I figure a side benefit to Invisalign is weight loss. I'd love to hear members' weight loss stories. And if anyone has completed their treatment, were you able to maintain your loss?

Lilypad

#2 Post by Lilypad »

Welcome to the forum DeeMinou! I lost 30 pounds over my year of treatment, and havent gained any of it back. :D

DeeMinou

#3 Post by DeeMinou »

Wow, Lilypad, that's wonderful! Now that you're done your treatment, how often do you wear your retainer aligners--only at night or during the day, too? Before I started my treatment, my dentist told me that I would be wearing them at night, for the rest of my life. But I got a brochure about the retainers which are made by Invisalign in my kit last week, and this brochure made it seem as though the retainers would be worn during the day as well. That would certainly help with maintaining weight loss.

avl

#4 Post by avl »

i got food poisoning about a month into my treatment- those things combined caused me to lost 15 to 20lbs- thats not good- im a powerlifter and dropped a class. ive gained maybe 8lbs back.

Lilypad

#5 Post by Lilypad »

My ortho told me to wear the essix only at night but that didnt work for me even with a permanent bonded retainer. I tried that ONE day. :shock: I had so much pain on putting the essix back in I decided I was better off wearing it for about 6 hours during the day also. I'm still wearing it daily after 6 months, but the pain is less if I do happen to leave it out most of the day.

Leelee

#6 Post by Leelee »

I have lost maybe 10-18 lbs. since starting Invisalign. I'm seeing it as a good thing :D I'm on my last tray, so I don't know if I will gain the weight back or not. But I will be wearing my retainers for at least 3 months full time before I switch to night only, so I doubt I will gain it back quickly, if at all.
Finished w/Invisalign Express, now on my third set of Vivera retainers

JPs

weight loss

#7 Post by JPs »

I began wearing my Invisalign on May 28 & have lost 15 pounds so far - love it!

teacher61

I have not lost any weight.

#8 Post by teacher61 »

I am on my 9th out of 10 trays and have not lost any weight. It depends on your eating habits before Invisalign. I did not snack much or drink alot of soft drinks before. My eating habits are about the same before and after Invisalign. That is why so many lose weight while wearing them. When they are off the Invisalign they will go back to their usual bad eating habits and gain it back. They only advantage for me so far is that I had a bad nail-biting habit. I have long fingernails now. I am just wondering if I will have the willpower to not bite them when I am off the trays for good.

Rio UK

#9 Post by Rio UK »

I think I've actually gained weight! Before I used to eat little and often throughout the day, snacking on fruit and nuts. Now I only eat 3 times a day but seem to eat as much as possible in those time periods! lol :lol:
Invisalign upper teeth on July 16th 2008: 14 aligners.
Fixed brace bottom teeth 8th October 2008!

Alex2411

#10 Post by Alex2411 »

only one week into treatment so i havent experienced any weight loss as of yet, however i can imagine i will because i always seemed to snack alot at night but now i have my retainers in i dont feel like pulling them out eating then brushing my teeth for the 20th time that day :D so i suppose i will loose a little weight.
Braces On Teeth << My Invisalign Adventure

CoverGirl

#11 Post by CoverGirl »

I never knew how much of a snacker I was until I got my trays. I have four buttons on top and two on the bottom so, it takes some work to get them off. I only eat twice a day AM an PM no lunch or snacking if I'm at work because it takes so long to get them out and then having to brush and floss is a mission so, I just reframe. I haven't noticed any weight loss yet but, I'll keep you posted.
[/url]

myhollywoodsmile

#12 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Weight loss was one part of the process I was looking forward to, but unfortunately I don't seem to have lost any.

The trouble is I don't find the brushing/flossing too much of a chore.

In fact, I had just this minute remembered that there is a Cadbury's creme egg in the fridge and was thinking about taking my aligners out to go and eat it!

invisibyte

#13 Post by invisibyte »

Haha myhollywoodsmile, that sounds like me. I just make sure I never have any Cadbury cream eggs in the fridge to tempt me! :lol:

Its been 2 weeks for me, I'm onto my 2nd aligner now... i think I only lost a kg or so in the first few days then put it back on as the aligners became so easy to take on and off - so it wasn't a problem when I wanted to snack. What a shame! :P

PaulInc

#14 Post by PaulInc »

Snacking, which invisilign makes more inconvenient, is actually good for weight management as it keeps a steady stream of energy that you body can use and keeps metabolic rate up.

So invisilign makes healthy weight loss/gain harder, but you can still easily do it, it's just less healthy.

anastasia

#15 Post by anastasia »

I had healthy eating habits before Invisalign, ate several small meals or snacks throughout the day. When I got my first tray I really wanted to do everything by the book, to have them on for 22 hours a day. So I had fewer, but much bigger meals which I scoffed down in a hurry. Not healthy at all, I would walk around hungry all day and when the trays were off I stuffed my face in with lots of food AND dessert.

Now I don't care so much about the time it takes, I've gone back to eating little, but often. I've never had any problems or pain with removing the trays, and I don't think it's such a hassle to floss/brush. Though I have to admit I sometimes just rinse with water and brush when I get the chance later. And the trays are definitely not in for 22 hours a day, probably a lot less :oops:

I've used Invisalign since August now, and have the same weight. Which is a good thing, in my case