Attachments help

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

little*miss*sunshine

Attachments help

#1 Post by little*miss*sunshine »

Hi all,

Went to have my attachments on yesterday (I'm on tray 3 of 41U/15L). I was due to have 11 attachemnts fitted, 6 0n the top and 5 on the bottom. When I got home and removed my aligners a few hours later, I counted only 3 attachments on the bottom instead of 5. Fearing I'd pulled them off whilst removing my aligners, I rang my dentist and he said I was only meant ot have 3 on the bottom, even though my aligners all have 5 attachment cut outs in them in the bottom trays?

Anyone else heard of this? I trust my dentist but I'm slightly worried now, as surely if there are 5 attachment mouldings in my aligners then that's because I'm meant to have all 5 attachmnents?

Any help on this would be so much appreciated guys.

Also, anyone know of a good way to remove aligners with attachments? It hurts when I do it! I just put them back in as normal-is this correct?

Many thanks in advance. xxx

PaulInc

#2 Post by PaulInc »

Hi,

Get an aligner hook, hook it between the attachments on the side with the LEAST attachments to lift it just off the attachment, and then use your nail to slide it off. Dont try remove the whole thing with the hook, just use it as a wedge to lift it off the attachments. It also gets easier toward the end of the two weeks as your teeth have shifted. I dont recommend the "offical" way to remove the aligner with attachments, I cracked my first aligner twice doing that.

I have to have 1 more attachment in 2 months, but my current aligner does not have a "hole" for it. Often they give aligners out without attachments for 1 week that have the holes in, but i've never heard them just put on a few attachments when the aligners have all the places.

I'd double check and explain again to your dentist. The attachments can pop off if you dont take the aligners off carefully, and i know it's very hard to take them off carefully when you're not used to attachments. I poped two attachments off in the first 10 minutes leaving the dentist.

little*miss*sunshine

#3 Post by little*miss*sunshine »

Thanks for your help PaulInc. I'm gonna ring my dentist again on Monday and double check.

Gonna try the hook too! Since I've had my attachments, I feel that when I put my aligners back in they sometimes don't cover the whole of my teeth? I'll just have to keep practising! :lol:

PaulInc

#4 Post by PaulInc »

When i first got the attachments they didnt sit down on the teeth as nicely, but the second set of aligners solved that.