I only got one attachment?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Realme2008

I only got one attachment?

#1 Post by Realme2008 »

Let me give you some back story first. I had braces before, but my teeth were never fully straightened out and they removed four teeth from my mouth due to crowding. I thought I was going to be getting a lot of attachments on my bottom row especially because that's where a lot of the crowding is. I only got one attachment entirely, and he gave me three sets of aligners all together for now. He said that since I had four teeth removed, and braces before that I was a different invisalign case and required different invisalign treatment. He also said that he may add more attachments later in my treatment. I'm not really educated on the invisalign aligners though and how they move teeth, but I assumed that I would need a lot of attachments in order to fix crowding issues and to fix the four gaps I have in my mouth from having four teeth extractions. Am I correct on this? I also wanted to know about the numbers of aligners that are usually given to invisalign patients, because I was given 7 total for my upper and 13 for my lower. With how messed up my mouth are I expected it to be a lot worse and a lot more aligners and attachments. Should I trust what my dentist is saying to me or does this sound to good to be true? I've always been a skeptic? Can anyone help explain this to me? Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated! :D

Wobblydeb

#2 Post by Wobblydeb »

I think the reason for my attachments varies... I have attachments on two teeth that need to rotate and one that they want to extrude. The other three I'm not so sure about. They might be getting used to help move teeth along, or they might just be helping keep the aligners in place. :?

You definitely don't need them on every tooth that is moving. All of my 8 incisors are moving, and only two have attachments...

If you want to have a look at my piccies, click on the WWW button in my signature. The incisor that is sticking out is moving more than any other tooth, but doesn't have an attachment (its been relatively easy to move because its just getting pushed backwards). My lower set should also be done in 17 aligners which isn't too much more than you. :)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

Realme2008

#3 Post by Realme2008 »

Wow, thanks for the help. I think I understand a lot better than I did before. :D I just assumed I would be getting a lot of attachments on my bottom, because of all the crowding. He may give me more though.

myhollywoodsmile

#4 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Hi there, I am blogging this whole thing, and have my clinchecks on my blog. I have 34 aligners for my bottom teeth and that is only for the first phase. Despite this I have only 2 attachments on the the bottom row.

I would trust your ortho, if you don't see the results you want at the end, that is a different story, but the less attachments the better as far as I am concerned!

PaulInc

#5 Post by PaulInc »

Equipp yourself with an aligner hook. There's still a nack to doing it, and i imagine that nack is different for everyone, but it's certainly much less painful and 1000% easier than trying to pry them off with your fingers.

I couldnt easily remove my trays without my trusty aligner hook. It's a life saver.

Realme2008

#6 Post by Realme2008 »

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:51 am Post subject:
Hi there, I am blogging this whole thing, and have my clinchecks on my blog. I have 34 aligners for my bottom teeth and that is only for the first phase. Despite this I have only 2 attachments on the the bottom row.

I would trust your ortho, if you don't see the results you want at the end, that is a different story, but the less attachments the better as far as I am concerned!

Yeah, you have a point. Thanks for giving me your opinion.