How to clean you aligners?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BZA

#16 Post by BZA »

I just use a normal tooth brush, like a 50 cent one you get from the dollar store. I usually brush them at night time before i go to bed, and in the morning before i go to school. Those are basically the only time i brush them with toothpaste. At lunch i will just take them out, and rinse them well before putting them back in. And the only other time i brush them is if i'm going out and about, parties etc.

bbsadmin

#17 Post by bbsadmin »

If you get white build-up on your aligners that you cannot remove, SonicBrite does a great job of cleaning it off. We sell it at DentaKit.com, and it's a lot cheaper than the other cleaning crystals.

http://www.dentakit.com/sonicbrite.html
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

comedyfish

#18 Post by comedyfish »

I use the sonic brite thingy. Think I saw someone mention it in another forum. It's very good and easy to use. I do that every other day and a quick blast with electric toothbrush every time I take them out (if at home). If not rince them well.

I'm only on aligner 2 (today in fact) but after 2 weeks the last one still looked very clear!

CoverGirl

#19 Post by CoverGirl »

I'm currently on my first tray but this is my routine as far as cleaning my trays are concerned:

Morning: I soak my trays in denture cleaner for about 20 min while I'm eating breakfast. It's generic but it has the same ingredients as the Retainer Brite. I find it really important to do this in the AM because it takes away all the night time grime that builds up

When Snacking or taking lunch: I use a touch of toothpaste in my trays along with my ultra sonic tooth brush.

Nightly: If I notice a not so fresh umph in my trays then I soak them again in the denture cleaner. Then (with the trays in) I rinse my mouth out with flouride to prevent decay from not having my trays in. I also have MI- Paste my doctor gave me to prevent my enamel from breaking down. I was very concerned with tooth decay with my trays so, I go through the extra steps of the flouride and MI Paste.

But with the exception of being at the office or in public for that matter when my trays are not in my mouth I soak them cold water so, that way they don't get gross.

*** I also brush and floss after every meal/snack.***
[/url]

myhollywoodsmile

#20 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

I have written about this on my blog http://myhollywoodsmile.blogspot.com/20 ... gners.html

I think the most important part is rinsing them thoroughly as oon as you take them out.

invisibyte

#21 Post by invisibyte »

I have never used anything so far - but I am only just started my 2nd tray. All I do is sit them in a glass of water when I take them off to eat etc, or just when I'm brushing and flossing. This is generally enough to get rid of all smell and build-up. I only found that toward the very end (last day or 2) of my aligner it becomes 'cloudy' and harder to get completely clean. I wouldn't bother buying that thing that costs $100! My dentist gave me tablets called "retainerbrite" to use if they become bad... I suppose it's like denture tablets?

It says on the pamphlet that came with the aligners not to ever use listerine, as the ingredients may damage the aligner... but many people say they do use it so I'm not sure.

I find that the aligners do not get very dirty... the smell is the problem! If it is inconvenient for me to wash them when I take them off and put them in the holding container, they are absolutely disgusting if I put them back in without soaking them! Ew! But sometimes I just have no option.

PaulInc

#22 Post by PaulInc »

Trust me, cleaning them every time you take them out before you put them back in gets really tiresome. Especially as you're cleaning your teeth and your aligners several times a day. I expect using any form of passive cleaning would save me an hour or two a week.

I'm on aligner 12, so 6 months in, and i am now seriously thinking about buying one of these sonic cleaners. I am fed up of cleaning my teeth and aligners.

The other thing to consider is that the length of my electric tooth brush only just barely reach right to the bottom of my incisor groove. So i might not be giving as good a clean as i'd like.

Still smiling

#23 Post by Still smiling »

I soak mine in a baking soda solution when I'm not wearing them and brush with a soft small toothbrush and water. I seemed to notice a plastic taste from them in the morning and the baking soda gets rid of that.

cazzie

#24 Post by cazzie »

Just wondered if anyone had any advice on how to manage when there aren't really any facilities to brush/floss? I work in a very busy hospital ward and there are only 2 toilets with small sinks with mixer taps where the water temperature is permanently set to 'just warm', obv not the nicest to brush your teeth with! The staff room is not an option and considering the post on here entitled 'office etiquette' and some of the posts on cleaning you teeth in a rest room sink i think i had best avoid!! Do people consider that rinsing teeth with mouthwash after lunch and rinsing the aligners in water may be enough just to get through the day? I also must admit the ward is so busy with staff, visitors and patients that it is a little embarassing to keep walking through the throng equipped with toothbrush and kit!! Especially seen as my work involves being in theatre and i have to wear scrubs and there isnt really anywhere to hide a toothbrush! Hope someone has some clever ideas and can share what they use when brushing is inconvenient thanks

24braceface

#25 Post by 24braceface »

Bleach works the best. Get a full cup of water, put a little bleach in there, let it soak for 20 minutes and your aligners will be bright white with no odor. Like new. Bleach works better than any tablets or brushing your aligners. Just don't put your aligners in right after you soak them in bleach. Rinse them, let them soak in plain water then put them in maybe an hour or so later. Also remember just to put a little bleach in the water. Don't over do it.

24braceface

#26 Post by 24braceface »

Still smiling wrote:I soak mine in a baking soda solution when I'm not wearing them and brush with a soft small toothbrush and water. I seemed to notice a plastic taste from them in the morning and the baking soda gets rid of that.
I might try baking soda to see how it works. Does baking soda get rid of all the plaque and tartar than can build up on aligners?

I forgot to add in my previous post, that when I soak my aligners in listerine or any kind of tablets, the tartar doesn't completely disappear and when I put the aligners in they feel cakey.

PaulInc

#27 Post by PaulInc »

Strangely, i've found that cleaning them frequently with toothpaste and extremely well seems to accelerate "gunk" build up.

I now only brush them briefly with very little paste IF i see anything that needs cleaning off them, and so far they seem to be staying clear and without "gunk" on them.

Drinking lots of water and thoroughly rinsing them seems to help too.