When should I change over my aligner?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Realme2008

When should I change over my aligner?

#1 Post by Realme2008 »

I'm just curious as to what a lot of you do. I received and put on my first aligner on Tuesday February 10th. I wanted to know do I change them over Monday February 23rd at night or Tuesday the 24th at night?

PaulInc

#2 Post by PaulInc »

Doesn't matter a great deal as long as you stick to the same schedule.

So if you're changing them out on Monday night, do that every Monday night. If you're going to do it Tuesday night, do it every Tuesday night.

Your teeth and head done explode if you're off by a few hours or even a day.

Weeeyin

#3 Post by Weeeyin »

I'd change your trays after your evening meal and brushing etc, that way they're in a few hours so you'll know if you need a pain killer to be able to get a sleep. If you wait till bedtime to change trays and there is pain it'll wake you in the night and thats not good getting up out of a cozy bed to take a pain killer. Sleeping in the trays makes getting the new tray out easier as it's been in your mouth and settled for a few hours.

Lilypad

#4 Post by Lilypad »

Your teeth and head done explode if you're off by a few hours or even a day.[/quote]

:lol:

Wobblydeb

#5 Post by Wobblydeb »

I'd change them Tuesday night if I were you. If you have to get IPR before a set of aligners, your appointment is likely to be a Tuesday now (in line with the fortnight) and you don't want to move to the new aligner before the appointment.

Or something like that :)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

Realme2008

#6 Post by Realme2008 »

Wobblydeb wrote:I'd change them Tuesday night if I were you. If you have to get IPR before a set of aligners, your appointment is likely to be a Tuesday now (in line with the fortnight) and you don't want to move to the new aligner before the appointment.

Or something like that :)
Hey, what's IPR? I don't have another appointment until Wednesday March 25th. Does that change anything?

PaulInc

#7 Post by PaulInc »

IPR = Small amount of filing between teeth. It's nothing to worry about, but your dentist/ortho should have explained this to you BEFORE you signed on.

Just change aligners every 2 weeks, just before bed, and dont change just before your next appointment.

My dentist usually does IPR/attachments on my appointments and then gives me the next aligners to wear. This is usually in the middle of the day, but for all other aligners i change the 6th night, just before bed.

Realme2008

#8 Post by Realme2008 »

PaulInc wrote:IPR = Small amount of filing between teeth. It's nothing to worry about, but your dentist/ortho should have explained this to you BEFORE you signed on.

Just change aligners every 2 weeks, just before bed, and dont change just before your next appointment.

My dentist usually does IPR/attachments on my appointments and then gives me the next aligners to wear. This is usually in the middle of the day, but for all other aligners i change the 6th night, just before bed.
Oh, okay so IPR = tooth shaving. I haven't really had any tooth shaving done yet, because he said there really was no need to have it done yet. My dentist doesn't really talk or go into details much, and I constantly have to ask him questions rather then him just explaining fully. I will ask him more about this the next time I see him.

myhollywoodsmile

#9 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Hi there,
I am also on a Tuesday schedule and I change mine Tuesday am. I know that it is recommended to change them in the evening, but I actually like them feeling tight.
Also, I actually enjoy having a day or two where I can't get them out too easily as it stops me snacking.

I am on a 2 week schedule though, so I change on day 14.

PaulInc

#10 Post by PaulInc »

myhollywoodsmile wrote:Hi there,
I am also on a Tuesday schedule and I change mine Tuesday am. I know that it is recommended to change them in the evening, but I actually like them feeling tight.
Also, I actually enjoy having a day or two where I can't get them out too easily as it stops me snacking.

I am on a 2 week schedule though, so I change on day 14.
I am on a 14 day schedule too, my post was a little confusing.