Different times Upper v Lower

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Wobblydeb

Different times Upper v Lower

#1 Post by Wobblydeb »

As you can see in my signature I've got quite different numbers of trays - 31 upper but only 17 lower.

Has anyone else had a gap between the upper and lower set being complete, and what happened? If I need refinement on the lower set, do I start this after tray 17 or wait until the upper is finished and do both at once?

If so, how the heck do I keep the lower teeth in place for 7 months? From what I've read, normal Invisalign trays do not make good retainers... :?
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

Weeeyin

#2 Post by Weeeyin »

i've wondered this too, i've 29 upper and 13 lower. I'm not going for invisalign refinments so i hope i dont get stuck in tracks when the bottom trays are finished until the top catches up..eek!!! I've just this min thought of this...i'll have to ask next time i see Mr Ortho.

Ems

#3 Post by Ems »

i asked my dentist about this as i have 24 upper and 10 lower and am on tray 7 so nearly finished my bottom. He said that i just keep my last try in until i complete the top so they dont move. Hope this helps :D

Simon D

#4 Post by Simon D »

I have 26U and 20L and was told by my ortho that I will continue to wear tray 20 on the lower for the additional 3 months it will take to complete the upper. Hopefully this lower tray won't get to discoloured or damaged.

myhollywoodsmile

#5 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

Hi, I have 17 upper and 34 lower and have wondered about how I will synch any refinements. I think this is particularly important as I am in Australia and as far as I know we only get one refinement here.

I know a few people that have bottom only on now, and they are less noticeable when you are only wearing them on one arch.

Wobblydeb

#6 Post by Wobblydeb »

Simon D wrote:I have 26U and 20L and was told by my ortho that I will continue to wear tray 20 on the lower for the additional 3 months it will take to complete the upper. Hopefully this lower tray won't get to discoloured or damaged.
:shock: Oooooooo I hadn't thought about the condition it would get in. Hmmmmm - I'm off to see the dentist at the end of tray 16. I will ask him all about it then...
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

smeepee

#7 Post by smeepee »

Mine was 23U/17L. Im on 21U now, and only wear my 17L every night. I wore it full time until I was on 19U and then my dentist said I could cut down to night's as long as I wore them every night. They're a little bit discoloured now but you can't tell when they're on (not that anyone can see while Im sleeping with them in!). HTH

bint3gra

#8 Post by bint3gra »

Weird, I have 34 uppers and 24 lowers. My ortho just offsetted my lowers to start at upper tray #10. That way I finish my upper and lowers at the same time. Speakin of which, I just removed my lower trays today (day 1) and popped them back in after brushing and nearly passed out from the pain. It's a huge diff when you have crowding, the trays fit SO TIGHT and make your teeth work so hard. I'm not looking forward to tommorow when i need to remove them again. :cry: