Dentist Wants to Charge me for Refinements

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Grantith

Dentist Wants to Charge me for Refinements

#1 Post by Grantith »

I finally reached the end of my treatment, but I'm not completely happy with the end results. My dentist brought up the possibility of getting refinements, but he said that it would cost an additional $500. I've read through numerous topics on refinements and everyone says their refinements were included with the original price. I've already paid an arm and a leg for my Invisalign treatment, and I feel like I shouldn't have to pay an additional $500 to finish.

Has anyone else been told they had to pay to get refinements? Is it standard Invisalign procedure to have refinements included? I'm so worried he is going to gouge an additional $500 out of me!

Thanks for any help guys!

amber10101

#2 Post by amber10101 »

Hey there,

It's my understanding that dentists/orthos can choose to bill for Invisalign however they choose.

At my dentist, just about everything is one price. If I needed 3 trays or 30 trays, it would have cost me the same price. If I get no refinements, or if I get refinements multiple times, it's the same price. They even include a whitening treatment and retainers when I'm "done". The only extra I pay is if I loose or break an aligner - that'll cost me $50.

Other places I checked charge by the tray, so someone with less trays pays less, but if refinements are needed, those have to be paid for again. It's a different cost if attachments are needed or not too at this other clinic.

I think it seems common for refinements to be included in the original price, but it's not a rule or anything like that.

If I were you, I'd take a peek at the contract you signed with the clinic when you began treatment. It's probably all there.

PaulInc

#3 Post by PaulInc »

Invisalign Express doesn't include refinements, so if you had 10 aligners or less in your treatment, you probably got it at a much discounted rate.

PaulInc

#4 Post by PaulInc »

Just read your other post and you've had them 9 month, so not express. I'd complain, unless you got it significantly cheaper than anywhere else to begin with.

Grantith

#5 Post by Grantith »

Yeah, I had the full Invisalign treatment (18 upper and 18 lower trays). I think my best bet is to complain. I just wish I knew to ask about refinements when I first started. I would have known to make sure it was included. I think I'll just explain how unhappy I am, and hopefully they'll understand. I'll also see if my dentist has an Invisalign representative or someone I can talk to as well. Maybe he'll have some pull.